About the right team member:
As a Data Engineer at Betterment, you will tackle a diverse set of data-oriented problems, working with a wide range of teams & learning a great deal about finance in the process. One morning you might work with our Finance team to construct data domains in Redshift that will allow them to hone & quickly tweak our financial model, & then spend the afternoon strategizing with our front-end application team on how to coordinate internal APIs that allow us to serve up historical data to customers in our applications. The next day you might assist our Operations team in automating the production of equities reconciliation reports, then close out the evening by hopping over to our Data Science team to get them the data they need to compare the effectiveness of TV advertisements in San Francisco & New York. If theres data involved, youre the one curating it - making it accessible, & ensuring its correct. A Data Engineer at Betterment can expect to approach tasks such as these on a daily basis, leveraging our existing processes & using their prior experience to improve the way we handle data at Betterment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work on increasing the efficiency of our ETL processes as the size of Betterments data grows 10x annually
- Explore new technologies that will allow us to keep our internal API response times low even as throughput grows
- Move quickly to provide analysts with new data before they ask for it
- Investigate how we can enhance our logging & monitoring to discover & resolve issues before they cause problems
- Think about scale & new technologies that will enable us to achieve a high level of service as Betterment is managing hundreds of billions of dollars
You will be effective if you have:
- Have deep expertise in at least one object-oriented language, such as Java, Ruby, or Python
- Know how to handle an explosion of data without missing a beat
- Can optimize a query with the best of them
- Are the person at your current job that everyone goes to for database help, even though you arent necessarily a DBA
- Are so good at automating things that youre constantly programming yourself out of a job
- Have a passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Appreciate agility & pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
- Have the grit to see projects through to their conclusion
Tools in your belt:
- Development: OO languages such as Python, frameworks such as Flask or Ruby on Rails, Advanced SQL
- Datastores: Redshift or other columnar stores, Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB or other NoSQL stores
- Technologies: Event Streaming, Caching tools, MapReduce
- Platforms: AWS!
Betterments Data Engineering team spends most of its time with the tools above, but we cast a much wider net in other parts of the engineering team. We strive to always choose the best tool for the job. We maintain most of our ETL & orchestration in Python, but we serve up data to customers through APIs in a lightweight caching application built in Rails. The person for whom were looking will be a pro who can guide both our data pipeline development as well as our customer-facing APIs.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!