Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands & innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, & is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform Department is in the center for many of these technologies & development.
The Data Platform team is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched & valuable ecosystem of data platform & data services that drive innovation for our partners & clients, within Visa & globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning & Big Data), systems & services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, & easy to use, therefore enabling Visa the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective & timely manner to maximize technology/business development & differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business & external clients.
To ensure that Visa's payment technology is truly available to everyone, everywhere requires the success of our key bank or merchant partners & internal business units. The data platform team supports these partners by using our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally & captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year. Our focus lies on building creative solutions that have an immediate impact on the business of our highly analytical partners. We work in complementary teams comprising members from Data Science & various groups at Visa. To support our rapidly growing group we are looking for Data Scientists who are equally passionate about the opportunity to use Visa's rich data to tackle meaningful business problems.
This position reports to the Sr. Director of Architecture for Data as a Service team in Data Platform & will be based in Bellevue, WA.
- Be an out-of-the-box thinker who is passionate about brainstorming innovative ways to use our unique data to answer business problems
- Communicate with internal & external clients to understand the challenges they face & convince them with data
- Extract & understand data to form an opinion on how to best help our clients & derive relevant insights
- Develop visualizations to make your complex analyses accessible to a broad audience
- Partner with a variety of Visa teams to provide comprehensive solutions
- Find opportunities to craft products out of analyses that are suitable for multiple clients
- Contribute to the Data Platform strategies & roadmap development to meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies. Ability to translate business concepts to technical terms. Understands & communicates company goals & objectives.
- Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals & align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, & cost.
- Engage with Data Platform customers/partners to understand their needs & provide suggestions/guidance on what data platform techniques are appropriate to solve their problems with pros/cons articulated clearly.
- Drive internal proof of concept initiatives. When needed, quickly design & implement a prototype of a system or component with a proper architecture, & then hand over to (may lead) a small group of devs to finish.
- Provide mentorship & help team growth especially on technical side.
Can you take on the responsibilities described above? Then please apply! Independent of years of experience or educational background, successful candidates frequently have a mix of the following qualifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 10+ years of software development experience including 2+ years of data science experience.
- Bachelor's degree in an analytical field such as statistics, operations research, economics, computer science or many others (graduate degree is a plus)
- Experience with extracting & aggregating data from large data sets using SQL, Hive or other tools
- Competence in Excel, PowerPoint & Tableau
- Experience in understanding & analyzing data using statistical software (e.g., Python, SAS, R, Stata or others)
- Previous exposure to financial services, credit cards or merchant analytics is a plus, but not required
- Technical background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data acquisition & processing, data management, distributed processing, & high availability is required. Experience in statistics, data mining, machine learning & operational excellence of production systems is a plus.
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge & experience on measuring a service from user experience angle.
- Strong on driving for results & self-motivated, strong learning mindset, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures & build durable new ones.
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, & interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues & concepts to multiple organization levels & executive management.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the
incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone,
frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers,
reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.