Help architect smart, compliant & scalable business growth.
We are looking for a Head of Legal & Operations to be the backbone of our business & ensure we continue our rapid growth in a way that is smart & well-advised. You will be responsible for advising members of the executive team on critical legal & business matters, including all corporate initiatives, expansion efforts, & M&A activities. The successful candidate will report to the SVP of Finance & Operations.
The Role Youll Play:
The ideal candidate would have substantial experience in both law firm & in-house roles (tech preferred) & is looking to continue this in a scaling SaaS, advisory, & content business. This is a hands-on role that requires both a legal & business mind, often juggling multiple projects at once. Individuals who can solely function as attorneys will not be successful candidates.
Your Main Tasks:
- Support sales, product, engineering, privacy compliance, marketing, IT operations, general procurement, & other corporate functions
- Structure, draft & negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, procurement agreements, licenses, promotional agreements, product development agreements, & other general agreements
- Responsible for building & maintaining legal operations & ad hoc business operations
- Manage outside counsel, always seeking to find the best balance regarding cost & expertise & associated risks
- Provide advice & counseling on a wide range of legal topics, including compliance, risk management, sales & use tax, & global data protection & privacy issues
- Experience with cross border employment & transactions
- Partner with the finance & people team on managing the Company's equity portfolio, Carta experience a plus.
- Experience in strategic M&A activities
- Partner with the finance to strengthen internal controls, establish a comprehensive risk management framework, & improve the company's operational velocity (scalability)
- Provide guidance to the People Operations team on employment matters & collaborate on various employment agreements
- Experience with preparing for public regulatory action, SEC filings
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate & drive performance from team
- Development of policies, procedures & training as needed
- Anticipate issues & estimate risks strategically
- Deal with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients)
What you bring to the table:
- Proven in house experience advising technology companies (SaaS experience a plus) with business acumen
- A minimum of 8 years of experience practicing law with a combination of law firm & in-house experience
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, employment law, data privacy, etc)
- Clear communicator, someone who commands the attention of a room to express your opinions or feedback as well as communicating clearly in a written manner. You are able to facilitate meaningful discussions & feedback gathering from others eloquently & with confidence.
- Well-versed in how business operate with financial acumen, ability to strike a sensible & practical balance between legal risks & business objectives
- Previous experience at a public tech company a plus
- High degree of professional ethics & integrity
- Excellent judgement & analytical skills
- Admission to bar of good standing, NY admitted preferred
Whats CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore & exploit emerging technologies. We help the worlds leading companies accelerate their digital strategy & transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine & human intelligence to help you discover & manage your response to emerging technology startups & markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, & Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 650k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA & FSA options, dental, & vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest & Relax: Competitive vacation & holiday plans
- Refuel: In office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving & creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team & encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here & you'll be eligible for $5,000!
(FOR REMOTE ROLES ONLY)
All of the work for this position will be performed in the U.S. As such, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity & eligibility to work in the United States & to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.