Thrillist is looking for an analytical, editorially-minded person to join our SEO team & work closely with our writers & editors. The ideal candidate will have a strong editorial background, the ability to think strategically & have experience with basic SEO touchpoints in digital media, & fundamental knowledge of SEO. We are willing to further train the right candidate on SEO tools & other more technical aspects of search. If you have editorial experience in digital media & are interested in a career track in editorial strategy, management, and/or operations, you could be a great fit for this position.
The SEO Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day optimizing of Thrillist written content for search platforms, including editing headlines & custom URLs, researching & organizing keyword research data to inform story ideas & editorial strategy, & compiling data reports that provide insight on the search effectiveness of published content. The SEO specialist has a strong understanding of the way publishers strategize around Google search, how to optimize pages to rank more successfully in search engine result pages, & can train others in SEO best practices.
The SEO Coordinator reports directly to Thrillist Director of Audience Development.
The SEO Coordinator will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Edit SEO metadata for all newly published stories, optimizing SEO titles, descriptions, & other important metadata to ensure pages adhere to SEO best practices & established search strategy, & rank as highly as possible on search result pages.
- Perform keyword research & create organized, easy-to-read reports that give writers & editors clear indications of search opportunities within their coverage areas.
- Create organized reports & dashboards that give a clear indication of how well-published stories have performed in search, especially highlighting trends, outliers, & any areas where we are not seeing success.
- Liaise with writers & editors to troubleshoot issues & answer search-related questions as they come up.
- Use third-party tools to identify new search opportunities, & areas we can improve.
- Identify, classify, & report potential site or page errors that are costing us with Google.
- Work with the tech team to identify & implement any necessary backend changes.
- Develop a strong understanding of our editorial mission to give better insights & guidance to vertical teams.
- Work with the audience development team to develop strategies to best optimize content across all platforms.
- At least 1 year of SEO experience, not necessarily in a full-time SEO role, but preferably in an editorial environment
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Search Console, Google Trends, SEMrush, & other SEO research tools
- An understanding of how stories are searched for, found & consumed on Google search platforms
- Good communicator & collaborative team member
- Good organization skills
- Analytical, with an ability to turn data into editorial insights
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.