Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where its needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills & industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, & become the next generation of leaders in tech. Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, & JPMorgan Chase, & increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000.
In addition to providing training & career support, Pursuits innovative operating model combines partnerships with tech companies to retrain their blue-collar workers and social impact investments to scale our services to more people & places of need. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, & communities across the nation.
At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant, & hard-working team to achieve our goals & support our national expansion.
About this Role: Head of Institutional Giving & Relations
Pursuit seeks an experienced, skilled & highly effective Head of Institutional Giving & Relations to join & help build its growing Partnerships & Business Development team. This role will help lead & execute the strategy for prospecting, cultivating, & stewarding an increasing portfolio of local, regional & national organizations that support our mission. In addition, you will oversee key initiatives, such as Pursuits annual gala--Tech Bash, by working across teams & serving as a champion of Pursuits mission & work to external stakeholders. This position reports to the Director of Partnerships & Business Development & works closely with other organizational leaders. The ideal candidate for the position will be responsible for the following:
Scope & Responsibilities
- Institutional Giving Strategy
- Help create & execute short-term & long-term plans to engage & secure high-level partnerships with philanthropic & corporate funders
- In partnership with Programs team, pilot bespoke engagement opportunities for key partners that increase engagement, funding, & community (e.g. corporate volunteerism, specific program components)
- Relationship Management & Grant-Writing
- Develop strong relationships with prospective & current funders through the life cycle from prospecting through ongoing stewardship
- Identify prospects, conduct research & develop briefings & agendas for meetings & site visits
- Be able to independently lead & coordinate meetings with prospects & funders/donors
- Lead the creation of successful applications of grants & proposals to both foundational & corporate partners ($100,000 - $2M range)
- Work with senior leadership to develop & write program concepts & proposals
- Partner with Programs & other teams to execute & deliver on partnership agreements
- Own the acknowledgement, reporting & stewardship for revenue contracts & partnership agreements
- Campaigns & Events
- Oversee Pursuits annual gala -- Pursuit Bash -- working with the Partnerships & Events Manager, external vendors, Pursuits Board & Operating Board, staff, & donors
- Oversee giving campaigns from stakeholders such as Pursuits Board of Directors, individual donors, volunteers, & end of year appeals
- Team Building & Leadership
- Lead, grow, & coach a team of philanthropy professionals to achieve Pursuits philanthropic goals
- Work collaboratively with the CEO, the Director of Partnerships & Business Development & other members of the senior management, Partnerships, & Programs teams
- Be invested in being part of a growing development team & organization with an annual budget of $12 MM
Qualifications & Competencies
- Bachelors degree required with 8-10 years experience in development & fundraising at a complex nonprofit or education institution
- Have a keen understanding of the landscape of institutional support in the fields of STEM, workforce development, & tech education, encompassing both corporate engagement & philanthropic giving
- Ability to navigate ambiguous situations & to drive to clarity, with a mindset of building repeatable processes for the future
- Demonstrated experience in meeting & exceeding ambitious targets, along with proficiency with all steps of the partnership cycle (prospecting through stewardship)
- Proven track record of success with securing significant grants from major foundations or institutional funders ($100K+)
- Ability to quickly synthesize complex ideas & align them with funder priorities
- Ability to work quickly & be able to produce a polished piece of work needing little editing
- Experience in writing complex proposals & reports
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, Box, Raisers Edge, Salesforce, with an interest in learning new technology
- Experience with prospect research software & resources like iWave, FoundationSearch, LexisNexis, WealthEngine or others
- Possess a thorough understanding & a strong mission & values alignment with Pursuit with an interest in technology & startups
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders from various backgrounds
- Data-driven & results-focused
- Creative, flexible, & solution-oriented
Our Values & Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as One Big Team, supporting one another & ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members & volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
- Giving Our All: We have a strong moral & ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work & immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency & deep commitment to our students, to our community, & to each other.
- Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, & because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- & we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, & care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, & thank them by delivering outcomes to each & every one of our stakeholders.
- Data Driven, Human Judgement: We cant manage anything we cant measure. Data & analysis give definition & ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact & improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity & the faith in whats possible. Our work is about beating the odds & overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, & vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, & a fun & active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, & fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.