About Us VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, & methodology to empower the worlds largest organizations to adapt to change & build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
As a data scientist on Pivotals Data Science team, youll be working on a wide variety of data problems for a diverse range of clients. You will often be asked to learn new technologies & domains on the fly. You should be comfortable working under deadlines & making tough decisions. Consequently, you will frequently have to balance achieving an immediate goal with scalability & productionalizability.
The role offers room for personal & professional growth, & you wont be working in isolation. Data Science at Pivotal is an encouraging & supportive team, where ideas & challenges are addressed collaboratively. Were looking for the kind of person who will try & solve a problem on their own first, but isn't afraid to ask for help or say I dont know.
The Data Science team at Pivotal is primarily a consulting practice; we are tool agnostic, working with our customers to solve real world problems. Our customers, like us, are cross-disciplinary. We service engagements with use cases running from customer churn to optimization to detecting fraud & misconduct. We are not just doers, we are also educators & enablers.
While there is no such thing as a typical day, these are activities we frequently find ourselves doing:
- Working with clients to uncover & frame new opportunities for data science. Clients often come to us without a clear understanding of what we can do, so this is our chance to open their eyes to new possibilities for their businesses.
- Exploring client datasets, looking for actionable insights we can present.
- Engineering features, training models, tuning hyperparameters & evaluating the results. We emphasize rigor, because data science done right at this stage leads to models that shine in production.
- Taking the models we build into production. This is an exciting stage for anyone who likes collaborating with engineering teams & seeing their model become real when users interact with it.
- Helping our clients develop their internal data science practices, from hiring & recruiting to data capturing, so that they can be successful when we hand off the project.
Required Skills / Experiences
Desired Skills / Experiences
- 2+ years of work in a data-centric field (data science or data engineering).
- Experience with relational databases.
- Exposure & experience working in a Linux environment.
- You have a specialization in an area like NLP, optimization, or image processing.
- Hands-on experience working in a distributed computing environment or proven theoretical understanding of parallelism.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.