POSITION: Manager, Career Advancement (Career Coach)
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Career Advancement
LOCATION: Bronx, NY
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas is seeking a Manager, Career Advancement (Career Coach) to train students in essential skills for beginning & advancing their careers in technology. You will assist students in building their resumes, cover letters, & LinkedIn profiles. You will also coach students for two years post graduation to set & meet career advancement goals.
The Manager, Career Advancement, will report to the Senior Manager, Career Advancement, & will work closely across teams at Per Scholas to bring an innovative & forward-thinking approach to career development & advancement services for our students & alumni.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Curriculum & Workshop Facilitation
- Using a structured & approved curriculum, conduct regular & comprehensive sessions of career development training to prepare students for entry to mid-level jobs in the field of technology. Training topics include but are not limited to :interviewing skills, resume & cover letter creation, LinkedIn profiles, job search & networking strategies, customer service training, workplace success strategies, career advancement training, & business communications
- As needed, facilitate remediation workshops & individual coaching sessions with students who need additional support outside of the classroom
- Support the creation of supplementary materials & curriculum to better meet student & employer training needs
- Conduct New Hire & Post-Hire workshops & support sessions for employed graduates
- Facilitate new cycle & class kick-off events, helping to onboard Per Scholas students
Managing Student Performance
- Function as the first point of contact with student questions & issues
- Provide students with ongoing individual career counseling & employment preparation coaching
- Prepare student evaluations individually & in conjunction with the technical instructor
- Participate in all required cross-functional student progress meetings with other teams, including technical instructors, financial coaches, navigators (social workers), & the employer partnerships' team
- Ensure quality & timely review of student resumes to be ready for corporate engagement events (e.g. mock interviews), & job search
- Monitor & enforce student class attendance & performance requirements, issuing probationary letters & dismissing students who do not meet program requirements
- Monitor & enforce all program policies to ensure compliance
- Make necessary referrals to Per Scholas financial coaches or navigators to support additional services & partner referrals outside of the classroom
- Accompany students to corporate engagement site visits, mock interviews, networking events, & lunch & learns with Per Scholas employer partners
Alumni Advancement Coaching
- Work closely with the Employer Partnership, Talent Manager, & Corporate Engagement teams to provide assistance & ongoing support to new graduates in their job search activities
- For two years post-graduation, provide monthly & quarterly follow-up & advancement services to both employed & unemployed alumni, based on their specific needs
- Connect program graduates with the resources necessary for them to maintain employment & advance in their careers
- Manage the graduate outcomes review process to help secure organizational performance & placement goals
- Conduct real-time student data entry in Salesforce
- Work with Senior Manager, Career Advancement, & other Managers of Career Advancement to propose & implement process changes that better support Per Scholas students & Alumni
- Participate in cross-functional team projects & initiatives on an on-going & voluntary basis
- Contribute to the development & implementation of new Per Scholas initiatives for current students & alumni
- Support Per Scholas Regional Leadership team in selecting students & alumni for funder panels & public speaking opportunities
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO US:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience required
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in career & job development with specific experience with job readiness/life skills training
- Experience in talent acquisition, organizational development, or adult learning in the tech sector a plus
- Deep knowledge of best practices in resume & cover letter preparation, interviewing skills, & job search activities
- Demonstrated experience in classroom training & understanding principles of classroom management
- Deep experience working in or understanding of unique local community context strongly preferred
- Google Apps & Salesforce experience a plus
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work & mission
- You are not afraid to make tough decisions or have tough conversations with students
- You are data-driven, results-oriented, & a forward-looking catalyst for social change
- You have a collaborative & flexible work style. You're excited to work cross-functionally with other departments & independently
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral & written skills
- You are tech savvy & can learn quickly
- You are a successful manager of your time & can balance multiple projects & tasks
- You stand behind our mission believing that individuals from any community should be able to access well-paying careers, & that talent should be recognized & recruited from many diverse sources
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart & soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative & mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths & work-life balance, & welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
Youll enjoy a welcoming & casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, & benefits like health care & a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful & have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive & proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous & tuition-free technology training & professional development, we prepare motivated & curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as technology professionals, & we create onramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in eight cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Boston, MA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region Newark, NJ & New York, NY. To date, Per Scholas has trained over 9,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life-changing skills & careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our People team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org & platformbyps.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.