Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
At Betterment, we work hard to maximize every dollar our customers have entrusted to us. Data plays a critical role in nearly all of our pursuits & operations- its core to how we decide the focus of the efforts of hundreds of engineers, product managers, & designers, how we allocate resources to different customer acquisition channels, how we efficiently run the operations of a business that manages over $30 billions dollars of our customers money, & much much more.
The analytics team makes an impact across all of Betterments organization, partnering with the business to help shape strategy, identify opportunities, & influence product decisions that create the best experience for our users. Projects range from creating beautiful & informative dashboards that provide a pulse on the business to delving deep into customer behavior to make game-changing discoveries about how we can improve our business & make our product better for our customers.
In this role, you will be a Lead Analyst with the ability to have a direct impact working across our business lines. Youll be given the opportunity to deeply research the most important priorities in our business, as well as the opportunity to identify & surface priorities weve yet to identify. You will partner closely with our product, engineering, finance, strategy, customer support & marketing teams to improve business performance & deliver the best product we can to our customers.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including, but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $150,000 - $165,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as product, marketing & sales to create actionable insights & recommendations for change through data-driven analysis
- Partner with product management end-to-end on analytics, including implementing event tracking alongside our Engineering team, quantifying the impact of features through A/B testing, & monitoring performance to better understand customer behavior
- Create intuitive data visualizations that help senior leadership make key decisions
- Produce & deliver research reports on topics that are most important to driving Betterments growth
What were looking for
- Strong SQL skills to efficiently pull insights from our thoughtfully curated & well-modeled Redshift datawarehouse
- A deep familiarity with R, Python, Julia, etc that will allow you to produce more complex & statistically-driven analyses than can be performed in BI tooling
- A familiarity with Looker, Tableau, or other BI tools to quickly answer straightforward stakeholder questions about business performance
- A powerful combination of technical expertise, curiosity, business acumen, & willingness to work hard to pull groundbreaking insights from our data
- Experience understanding customer behavior metrics, such as funnel conversion, user churn, lifetime value (LTV) & cross-sell metrics
- Experience with experimentation & hypothesis testing, with strongly held opinions on A/B testing
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.