About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Weve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 650 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members & employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
Rent the Runway is seeking a Senior Designer to join our growing Creative team. As Senior Designer, you will be responsible for owning the Rent the Runway visual design identity & overseeing its application across channels, both in practice (ie directly executing design work) as well as in oversight (ie overseeing the visual design executions of the Visual Design team). Executions of the Rent the Runway visual design system include but are not limited to the following channels: Paid, Email, Social, Site, App, Retail/ IRL, etc. You will work in concert with our Art Director & Vp - Design & Production to ensure that the visual design standards are both upheld as well as evolved & refined over time. The ideal candidate has a passion for visual design & for evolving expertise in this area, as well as nurturing & growing younger design talent.
- Work closely with Cross-Functional Channel Leads (Brand Marketing, Paid Marketing, Brand Partnerships, PR, Retail, etc.) to vet & digest the visual design briefs & execute against those briefs in a timely fashion.
- Establish & evolve a clear brand visual identity style guide to help drive faithful execution against that guide across channels & over time.
- Create visual design systems/ templates that promote consistency of visual design within each channel of design communication (Email, Paid, Social, Retail, Presentation, etc.), & drive adoption of those templates by the visual design team & its partners across the organization.
- Oversee & manage the design output for a team of visual designers (four individuals at the moment), working closely with them to understand their strengths & opportunities & play to both in their development as designers.
- Partner closely with Creative Team Leads to ensure strong communication between Visual Design & Art Direction, & maintain the health of those working relationships.
- Foster curiosity & education around design trends to develop the visual design talent at Rent the Runway & allow it to push the visual brand forward.
- Partner with Lead PM, Creative, to constantly iterate on & improve processes for visual design execution
- Bachelors degree & a minimum of 7+ years of experience in visual design for in-house brands or agency/ freelance clients
- Strong understanding of design principles & best practices across digital, print, physical contexts & beyond, & a desire to continually strengthen that understanding.
- Passion for management & mentorship of more junior talent
- Well organized, detail- & solutions-oriented
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
- A naturally collaborative team player with an interest in learning from & listening to others
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Must have an interest in art, photography, video content & the latest design trends
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite & Sketch
- Demonstrated appreciation for the RTR brand & its potential, & past experience working in luxury or fashion a plus
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.