Senior Product Manager - Pivotal Labs
New York, NY
Pivotals Story - VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software, combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, & methodology to empower the worlds largest organizations to adapt to change & build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile & lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, & infrastructure with organizations core expertise & values. Our cloud-native platform & suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the worlds most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds & with greater business agility. We optimize for change & teach next-generation developers to create & build new solutions, & are committed to open source & open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development & innovation, & our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each & every project, & are guided by a purposeful missionto transform how the world builds software.
You are passionate about creating products that make a difference for users & businesses alike. You have strong product instincts, excellent communication skills, are technically fluent & have a good understanding of common product design patterns. You enjoy working collaboratively with designers & engineers on small co-located teams. Youre passionate about your craft, & enjoy helping others develop as PMs. You are comfortable with ambiguity & moving forward with imperfect information You excel at leading without authority, effectively aligning team members as well as client stakeholders & executives around a shared set of objectives to progress the goal of shipping the right product to the clients customers. You judge your success by the success of your team & the happiness of our clients. Work/life balance is important to you: isnt just something that we want you to have, but something we need you to teach to our clients.
Pivotal Labsis Pivotal's consulting team, & a recognized leader in modern software development practices. Pivotal Labs is Pivotals consulting arm & a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the worlds most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. Our approach is informed by over 20 years of experience & continuous improvement, & blends lean startup, user-centered design & agile/XP. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management & collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide.
We pair with our client PMs, all day, every day because we know it delivers remarkable results. We practice & teach an approach to product management that is applicable across industries & organizations, so youll experience all types of teams, industries & products. And we believe in working at a sustainable pace youll typically work hard for 8 hours each day, but then youre off work to relax, recharge & refocus.
Required Skills / Experiences
- Experience with two of the following: lean startup methodologies, agile development methodologies, working directly with clients
- Experience shipping successful products, including defining vision, strategy, outcome-driven product roadmaps & creating & managing backlogs
- Experience articulating & testing product hypotheses
- Demonstrated ability to define & track KPIs & other measurable success criteria
- Deep user empathy & strong user experience sensibilities
- Experience in training, mentoring, and/or upskilling engineers, product managers, designers, etc..
- Experience closely collaborating with engineers & designers as part of small co-located teams
- Demonstrated ability to get things done in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills & ability to adapt your communication style for the audience
- Demonstrated ability to influence decision making in different contexts
- Interest in coaching others
- Ability to facilitate collaborative decision-making in a workshop context
- Ability to quickly understand a specific client domain & identify the trends & opportunities in that space
- Ability to travelup to 30%
Desired Skills / Experiences
- Experience with both lean startup methodologies & agile development methodologies
- Experience working directly with clients & leading projects
- Experience shipping both new products as well as improving upon existing ones
- Experience leading or supporting user research
- Experience mentoring other PMs a plus
- Experience working with or inside enterprise scale organizations a plus
- Experience as a designer or engineer a plus
Please Note: Much of Pivotals work in the New York office is with Federal Government customers that require our employees involved with their projects by U.S. citizens. As such, this role requires U.S. citizenship. If hired, you would also be required to go through a background investigation for Public Trust Clearance.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.