Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the world of paper credit card applications & hidden interest rates by providing leading point-of-sale financing options for merchants across the e-commerce journey. We build tools, technologies & APIs that allow merchants to integrate an installment loan financing & checkout experience anywhere in their customers shopping journey. Bread was started in 2015 by financial technology veterans & has experienced explosive growth to date. Were backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
The legal function at Bread interacts with every aspect of our consumer finance technology business & is critical to our long-term strategy. The Associate Counsel role will be part of a growing team working in a fast-paced environment & will drive critical decisions.
Our ideal candidate is a lawyer who is interested in becoming an expert in consumer finance law, has a sharp business acumen coupled with a consistent & methodological approach and, most importantly, a humble attitude.
What you will do:
- Work closely with our product, credit, finance, sales, operations, & engineering teams on new product roll outs & business growth initiatives
- Work with auditors & our bank partner to ensure continued compliance with banking & consumer finance laws
- Analyze & read federal & state regulations around consumer finance. Stay up to date on legal trends in the online lending space.
- Work on the other aspects of our business, such as our capital structure requirements, intellectual property, data security, & general contract management.
- An attorney with a JD from a top law school
- Attention to detail.
- You must be willing to roll up your sleeves & do the not-so-glamorous work with precision.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- The ability to propose legally sound but practical, business minded solutions
- The desire & ability to learn & adapt quickly
Nice to Have:
- Consumer finance experience (either regulatory experience or private practice)