You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators & doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, & genomics.
If youre excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact & joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, & payers to advance genomic research & accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. We support all aspects of population genomics from recruitment to translational research & help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, & lower costs. Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, & Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the worlds largest & fastest-growing population genomics initiatives.
For the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix has built one of the nations largest COVID diagnostic labs & has been on the leading edge of national viral surveillance efforts tracking B.1.1.7 & other viral strains.
What is special about this role:
You will build Helixs intellectual property portfolio & lead the companys IP strategy. As the point of contact on IP matters, you will help foster a culture of innovation at Helix & identify inventions for patent protection. You will work directly with the VP of Legal, & collaborate with the broader Legal, Privacy & Compliance Team to support your personal & professional development. As part of a small but growing team, you will be a close & strategic partner to the Helix business, & will be expected to work independently while knowing when to escalate issues to the executive team.
As Legal Director, Head of Intellectual Property, you will:
- Work closely with the company's science, research, engineering, & product development teams to identify & capture high-value innovations, & help define Helixs strategic intellectual property roadmap
- Manage outside counsel & resources for the preparation, filing, prosecution, strategy, & management of U.S. & international patent & trademark portfolios
- Work in partnership with outside counsel to formulate & drive case strategies
- Perform ongoing IP risk assessments for new & future technology
- Perform intellectual property landscape & freedom to operate analyses in a broad range of scientific & technological areas, with emphasis on genomics, diagnostic testing, research analytics, & AI modeling
- Develop & manage the invention disclosure & submission process to support the generation of high-quality assets in a timely & cost-effective manner
- Perform intellectual property assessments & diligence for key transactions including partnerships & M&A
- Review proposed publications & presentations for intellectual property impact
- Provide timely, practical, business-oriented intellectual property advice to business partners
- Support the overall IP awareness at Helix by contributing to trainings & other outreach
- U.S. law degree & an active member in good standing to a state bar, with admission to practice before the USPTO in good standing.
- 8+ years of experience in drafting & prosecuting U.S. & worldwide patent applications, developing strategic patent portfolios, & conducting patentability & freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Advanced degree in a life science or engineering discipline is preferred but not required; with a working understanding of genomics, biotechnology, in vitro diagnostics, medical devices, AI/machine learning, or related field.
- Experience supporting company transactions, licenses, collaborations, & partnerships desired.
- Strong analytical & research skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail combined with the ability to multitask, adapt, & prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate & communicate clearly across the organization.
Whats important to us:
- Curiosity we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility we have an obligation to people & our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear & effective communication about our products
- Agility flexibility & a desire to be nimble, smart, & effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through were building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
What Helix has to offer you:
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, & thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, & vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- 401(k) with employer matching
- On-premise nursing room
- Corporate fitness rate
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.