Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox.coms video team is looking for a motion designer to create animations for our YouTube channel & other social platforms. Motion design is crucial to our distinctive explainer style. We need clear visuals that can help explain complex ideas to the general public. You must have a strong sense of design, typography, & data viz. Youll work closely with producers, motion designer, & art director to utilize motion graphics thatll elevate our storytelling.
This is a full-time, temporary position lasting 3 months.
What you'll do:
- Work with producers to create visual approaches for videos
- Create original animation work to be included in videos
- Create templates for video series using style guides
- Design & animate charts & maps
- Develop & design styleframes
- Create social media assets for our work across platforms including thumbnail images & original artwork
- Support the art director in team projects
What you'll bring:
- At least two years of experience in motion design/animation with Adobe After Effects or equivalent level of skill
- Experience in finding & collecting relevant archival footage & material
- Fantastic design taste & attention to detail/accuracy
- Data viz experience is a plus
- Stop-motion, painting, music, & nearly any other creative skill is a plus
- Deep familiarity with Voxs video voice & style
- Creative drive to explore brand new approaches to video storytelling
- Awareness of what competitors are doing in video
If this sounds like you, please send us a resume & cover letter. In your letter, please include at least 3 links to your past work (journalistic and/or educational examples preferred), & describe your role in the production of the piece.
Vox.com launched in April 2014. The video team has grown to over 30 people & made a name for Vox as one of the leaders in informative web videos. We publish on our YouTube channel, Facebook, Vox.com, & Netflix, creating videos both independently & in collaboration with the larger vox.com staff. As we grow, well need help ensuring a consistent & high standard of quality so that our audience can be assured that theyre getting impeccable research along with stylish, beautiful presentation.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.