Who We Are
The Farmers Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. Backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, & Sweetgreen, we've raised over $100M in funding & seek to build a company as healthy as the dogs we feed.
Join The Farmers Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, & much-needed change to the way people feed & care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Product Development Manager will provide expertise & leadership in the commercialization of fresh pet food products & other line extension opportunities. This position will carry out TFD's mission of using the highest quality & safety standards to create & deliver food products that are safe, nutritionally complete, & balanced for dogs. The role will lead technical activities in product development, collaborate with external specialists & co-manufacturers, assuring effective execution of assigned project activities.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Provide technical expertise for products in development, new & existing products, as well & new and/or existing raw materials.
- Build prototypes, define scale-up plans & commercialize formulas.
- Define Commissioning, Qualification & Verifications protocols for all Innovation/Renovation projects
- Drive product cuttings, plant trials, & finish product or raw materials testing.
- Work with Co-manufacturing network to optimize current production, test, & commercialize new formulas.
- Provide critical updates & progress reporting to leadership.
- Work alongside multiple departments with all aspects of product roll-out.
- Responsible for resolution of technical & nutritional issues that arise during development, production, operational, & product performance.
- Proven understanding of how teams need to bring to bear pilot plant equipment & product specification systems.
- Runs individual tasks & works under limited supervision
We're Excited About You Because
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant work experience with food products
- Solid understanding in food product design, formulation, ingredient functionality & interaction, process & package design, product scale-up, plant testing, & commercialization.
- Understanding of food science/industry standards of quality & food safety, & USDA/FDA regulations.
- Experience with government regulatory requirements in the processing of food.
- Exhibit leadership & proactive attitudes in approaching technical solutions to business & market issues.
- Proven project management skills with ability to independently run project work & balance multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well & to effectively influence & interact with others to accomplish research goals.
- Excellent negotiating skills when working through conflict resolution.
- Positive relationship skills, both internally & externally, to achieve best in class positive teamwork.
- Comfortable traveling up to 25%.
- Experience in MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, & Access) & Google Docs (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms)
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (upon a safe return-to-office!)
- Market-competitive compensation & equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, & Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Flexible PTO & WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in person-meetings) is now a feature, not a bug