Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, & meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, & books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly & 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, & distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, & NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBCs Disruptor 50, one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups, & the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the 5000.
Who we're looking for:
Were looking for a Product Design Manager to lead the Player Experience Design team in charge of creating a new industry standard for competitive mobile gaming experiences.
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You take initiative, you find solutions to obvious & hidden problems without being asked. You challenge the status quo, constantly looking for new ways to improve designs & a users experience & you expect the people around you to do the same.
As a Product Design Manager at Skillz, you serve a crucial role: you enhance the health & growth of your team, as well as advocate for the overall business. You have a passion for design excellence & you express thoughtful creative direction. Youre also happy to occasionally roll up your sleeves to lead by example.
You will report to the Head of Product Design [Matt Snow] & will be based in San Francisco.
What You'll Do:
- Shape product design direction & strategy while also hiring, leading & mentoring the growth & success of a talented team of ~3-6 product designers creating competitive mobile gaming experiences on both iOS & Android
- Work closely with product & engineeringand other cross-functional partners to drive design vision & strategy. Help turn business objectives into customer centered problems & steer team strategy
- Collaborate with Design & Skillz leadership to determine our overall player experience design direction
- Define & drive design hiring goals. Recruit & interview new Product Designers, review incoming candidates, & actively improve our design hiring process.
- Own the design efforts for & bring clarity to large & ambiguous product experiences
- Contribute to iterating on our product experiences through user research
- Drive design thinking within the larger Product Design organization & encourage various design focused problem-solving methodologies
- 5+ years experience as a UX or Product Designer (encompassing interaction design & visual design with proficiency designing across platforms)
- 2+ years experience managing & mentoring a team of 3+ designers
- Experience building & shipping applications or software across a variety of platforms
- Experience with delivering 1+ products from concept stages to launch
- Mobile design experience for iOS & Android
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, & we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.