As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Reporting to the SVP of Ecommerce, this role would be primarily charged with managing & leading the Ecommerce Business Development team to ensure that Vox Media has strong partnerships with all of our main affiliate networks & dozens of key affiliate retail partners.
- Foster & grow strategic relationships with key partners in order to improve & expand how we work with them for affiliate & other performance-based opportunities (i.e., email, paid social, etc). Maintain a thorough understanding of key partners businesses including new offerings & strategic focus areas. Conduct & prepare regular quarterly business reviews with key partners.
- Source, negotiate & manage more direct affiliate relationships with retailers / brands.
- Support day-to-day ecommerce content production across multiple network brands by reviewing & checking articles to maximize optimization while understanding & not sacrificing editorial integrity; manage this workflow & process so that its done in the most efficient & effective manner.
- Collaborate with commerce editorial teams across all relevant Vox Media brands (especially focused on The Verge & Polygon networks) to inform & recommend ecommerce optimization opportunities. Stay updated on editorial initiatives to best communicate priorities & opportunities to partners when relevant.
- Oversee, create & organize dashboards, pipeline reports & other shared reference documents to ensure relevant stakeholders are up to date on the latest affiliate information & communicate key points / opportunities on a timely basis to the right editorial teams as well as to the Audience Development team.
- Coordinate & stay aligned with the rest of the Ecommerce team (especially around shopping tentpole events) to communicate product & analytics needs / issues on a timely basis.
- Manage ad sales / media opportunities that overlap with the affiliate business to work on solutions that work for all sides of the business. Collaborate with the revenue team on go-to-market products / offerings for key retailers / brands.
- Seek out strategic ways to grow our affiliate revenue beyond traditional channels.
- Proactively identify & propose new revenue-driving offshoots from the core affiliate business that we should vet.
- A solid understanding of the ecommerce publisher business (especially in the tech space) & the competitive landscape (minimum of 2 years in the industry).
- A passion for ecommerce / online shopping including knowing who's who in the retail landscape & some established relationships with affiliate partners.
- Minimum of 6 years of business development experience & the ability to source, negotiate, close & most importantly grow partnerships, especially with large scale partners.
- Track record of managing a team to meet / exceed goals & KPIs & understanding how how to motivate a team charged with aggressive growth goals.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working closely with Editorial, Audience Development, Product, & Data / Analytics teams.
- A collaborative, details-oriented & highly organized work style combined with the ability to partner with multiple teams with a broad variety of abilities & expertise.
- Strong communication skills with external & internal stakeholders & colleagues, written & oral.
- Analytical mindset to problem-solving with a high level of comfort operating in a data-driven environment.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities & work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.