Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking a Staff Software Engineer to be a key contributor for our Customer Lifecycle Engineering team, where you will develop features that impact all points in the customer lifecycle. You will use the latest distributed systems programming techniques & technologies, including microservices, Kubernetes, AWS cloud infrastructure & APIs. The person in this role will bring with them the ability to write complex backend services, communicate effectively with cross-functional teams, lead the execution of key team initiatives, translate architectural concepts into concrete system designs & have a tremendous drive to hone their craft.
This individual will help extend the reach of how & where Twilio products are sold, by creating & modernizing our integrations in marketplaces such as AWS, Azure, & Google Cloud, as well as enabling our international partner channels.
Twilio is looking for a staff software engineer who lives the Twilio Magic & has a demonstrated track record of building & maintaining complex backend systems in a dynamic environment using the latest data center technologies, both on-prem & in the cloud.
They also have:
- 8+ years of in-depth, hands-on software development experience in a modern programming language (Go (preferred), Python, Java, Ruby or C++).
- Demonstrated success in building & maintaining reliable, robust, & performant software that tolerates & recovers from unreliable dependencies throughout the entire software lifecycle.
- Clear ability to translate architectural concepts into concrete system designs to address product & business needs, & able to lead the execution of key initiatives for the team.
- Experience in coaching & mentoring junior engineers & sharing proven best practices.
- Expert OO experience & software engineering expertise (coding, automated tests, profiling, monitoring, etc).
- Proficiencies with MySQL, Redis & Kafka. DynamoDB a plus.
- Experience working with Docker & Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of AWS or other cloud computing services is a plus.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Communicate effectively & distill complex thoughts & concepts to technical & non-technical audiences including but not limited to group & team leadership, product managers & engineering peers. Document technology decisions & implementations, & support epic & story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology & process. Use your foresight & experience to keep our systems effectively running now & in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring & much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results & build effective working relationships. Be an expert to mentor, teach & lead while championing engineering best practices.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority & time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, & integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering & be a role model for software development habits & practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio & encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment & transparency in all your communications & interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication & organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants & needs.
The Customer Lifecycle team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with stakeholders & product teams to design & implement the infrastructure for all customer activities on our system. This includes everything from sign-up/sign-in to billing & account management.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Denver office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status & operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.