Away is looking for a Senior Tax Accountant to join the team at HQ. This newly created role will handle all things tax, with a focus on sales & use tax compliance in the US, but with exposure to international tax, corporate income tax, & payroll tax. This role will be vital to helping us stay compliant with all existing & future tax legislation, as well as designing processes & controls to improve efficiency & scalability in how we handle tax compliance.
What Youll Do
- Maintain US sales tax compliance, including managing existing & future sales tax registrations & sales tax filings
- Manage the Avalara sales tax platform in the US, including ensuring products & services are associated with proper tax codes, reviewing Avalara monthly filings for accuracy, & handling all questions & requests from Avalara
- Work with accounting team to develop processes to ensure compliance with use tax across all states, & perform regular review of use tax compliance
- Register & file use tax where required
- Directly support any sales & use tax audits
- Reconcile all sales & use tax related accounts on a monthly basis
- Identify any missing tax registrations or other compliance issues, work with the Controller to remediate deficiencies & ensure future compliance
- Monitor future tax legislation & work with Controller to ensure compliance
- Assist Controller with international tax compliance, such as creating reporting for VAT filings, assisting in the roll-out of VAT management software, & providing documentation when requested by third party accountants
- Work directly with our external third party accountants on providing documentation for corporate income tax or other federal & statutory returns
- Develop processes to calculate & reconcile any deferred tax assets & liabilities, including working with the Controller to document technical accounting positions with respect to tax
- Support the People Operations (HR) team with regard to payroll taxes, including reviewing & responding to notices, & providing support for any requests from our payroll provider ADP
- Support the Senior Accounting Manager, Controller, or operational business partners with special projects & requests
- Assist with audit requests, such as preparing supporting documentation & schedules or providing requested support
- Maintain process documentation & look for opportunities to automate & improve daily account processes
- Build & present ad-hoc reports to support monthly analyses as needed
Who You Are:
- BA/BS or Masters in Accounting, CPA required
- 2-4 years of directly related accounting experience, including at least 1 year handling tax registrations, sales and/or use tax filings, or sales/use tax audit support
- Ecommerce experience required; preference to candidates with a consumer product goods experience & exposure to international sales tax (VAT)
- Strong understanding of US GAAP, SOX 404, & US tax law
- Comfortable developing & designing processes, policies, work papers, & templates
- Enthusiastic & eager to learn & problem solve, including taking initiative to propose solutions
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational & time management skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills with management, direct co-workers, as well as other departments
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Advanced Excel skills
- Exposure to Avalara, Netsuite, & Looker a plus but not a requirement
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. Were building a company with a mission to make travel more seamlessstarting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, were working to build the #1 travel brand in the world.
To date weve sold more than one million travel products, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, & grown to a team of more than 200 people. We know thats just the beginning.
Fast Company named us one of their 2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies, we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, & called a Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing by Adweek.