This Backend Engineer or Senior Backend Engineer position for our Package group is 100% remote.
Its an exciting time to join our team. We're the worlds largest all-remote company, & we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
We're hiring three Backend Engineers for our Package group. As a Backend Engineer or Senior Backend Engineer in our Package group, you'll play a key role in team whose mission is to create a secure environment where both source code & dependencies can live. The features in our Package group allow our customers to publish, consume, & discover packages of a large variety of languages & platforms all in one place.
Our Package group is responsible for our container registry, package repositories, & the dependency proxy. All of these are key components of our Continuous Delivery offering where our users pull more than a million packages each week!
The Container Registry is written in Golang & the Package Managers & Dependency Proxy are written in Ruby/Rails.
The culture here at GitLab is something were incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits youll be entitled to vary by the region or country youre in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote & receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we dont count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options & a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, & Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible & in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard & welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day & contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of Package.
- Help scale our Continuous Delivery offering to ensure enterprise readiness & adoption.
- Solve technical problems of high scope & complexity.
- Help to define & improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, & best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain & advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab & its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, & community contributions.
- Provide mentorship for Junior & Intermediate Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities & remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Confidently ship moderately sized features & improvements with minimal guidance & support from other team members.
- Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Improve the engineering projects at GitLab via maintainer trainee program at your own comfortable pace, while striving to become a project maintainer.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, & performance.
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails and/or Golang
- A focus on code quality.
- Experience in a scaling SaaS product.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written & verbal, sufficient for success in a remote & largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly & concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems & propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance & optimization problems & a demonstrated ability to both diagnose & prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard & integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive & solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, & clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, & visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, & execution.
- Self-motivated & self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, & work in accordance with those values
You'll stand out if you bring
- Demonstrated experience with API development in Ruby/Rails
- Demonstrated experience with any package management tools such as NPM, Maven, or Debian.
Also, we know its tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You dont have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Backend Engineer position typically follows four stages. The details of this process & our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.