KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provide end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
CFD Mechanical Engineer
An exciting & important opportunity for the right person to join Katerras HVAC engineering development team as Mechanical Engineer. This is a hands-on, highly visible opportunity in a rapidly growing & evolving company with lots of room to grow! We are seeking an engineering student or recent graduate to work in our HVAC Product Technology Team in modelling air flow analysis both of our HVAC products & their implementations into building layouts of differing climates. This entry-level position provides hands-on working experience, bridging the findings of design simulations directly to Katerra HVAC customers a first in the industry. Katerra is breaking new ground & revolutionizing the building & construction industry with innovative products & processes. Come see what we are up to & help us build the next great company of our time!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Define & develop air flow analysis in residential & commercial buildings to simulate HVAC performance in different climates.
- Identify key material properties in building construction (door, windows, wall, etc) & capture those in the analysis, approach & coverage.
- Define data requirements & interdependencies across applications.
- Constantly refine, improve & expand the sophistication of the models to add ever more esoteric features.
- Deliver & explain simulation results to appropriate stakeholders.
- Influence early simulation as a proactive design input into, rather than a reactive review out of, architectural design.
- Integrate findings into best practices of building design & floorplan layout.
- Represent the model in industry & academic forums.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering, Science, or equivalent; preferably Masters/PhD candidate in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated competency in results justification using numerical modelling & computational fluid dynamics (CFD) through open source or commercial code
- Experience in using ANSYS CFD package & its Discovery package an asset
- Validation/verification the numerical model through interpreting experimental data
- Capable of creating 3D model/geometry required for CFD/thermal analysis using SolidWorks or SpaceClaim
- Expert in using ANSYS CFD package & preferably Discovery package
- A passion to learn, use & adapt new software/tools
- Communication skills across distributed cross functional teams to gather required information, to influence front-end design, & to disseminate simulation results
- Excel effectively & quickly under pressure & a demanding workload
- Ability to travel internationally, up to 10% of the time
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The job is primarily performed in a basic corporate office & lab environment. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms & hands, climb or balance, & to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required to perform this job include close vision. The employee will occasionally be required to travel & work in customer or 3rd party lab environments interfacing with sophisticated test equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, vehicles, & equipment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.