sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient & accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 4,000 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients & produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, were committed to leaving people better than we found them. Were in the business of feeding people, & were out to change what that means.
The Food Safety Manager is responsible for providing food safety & quality leadership & instruction to all Sweetgreen locations on our East Coast (except Boston). The position drives food safety & quality at a local level & ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, customer expectations, & third-party audit standards. This role is NY based.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors of Science Degree; preference will be given to candidates with degrees in Food Science, Microbiology, Biological Science, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the food industry; experience in a Food Safety or Quality Assurance position a plus.
- Food service experience required.
- Knowledge & understanding of pathogens & microbes associated with food production & food microbiological testing.
- Knowledge of HACCP, SOPs, & government/industry food safety & quality regulations, codes, & standards.
- Knowledge & understanding of food safety & quality assurance principles, root cause analysis strategies, & continuous process improvement.
- Proven manager; capable of coaching, developing, motivating.
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent communication skills both written & orally.
- Team player who demonstrates initiative & integrity while being able to work with little supervision.
- Ability to travel (max 50% of time).
- Provide food safety support & drive performance improvement for all Sweetgreen locations on the East Coast (except Boston).
- Maintain open communication with all departments to address the identification of food safety & quality issues & continuous improvement opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with applicable food safety regulatory requirements (Federal, State, & Local).
- Manage the third party audit program for the restaurants, evaluate performance & drive improvements through the operation.
- Review reports regarding regulatory, customer, internal & third party audits, sanitation violations, customer complaints, pest control, temperature monitoring & ensure corrective actions completed & recorded on a timely basis.
- Collect, trend, & analyze food safety & quality performance & prepare reports to evaluate the local units compliance & overall performance.
- Keep up to date with government regulations, industry best practices & food safety & quality advancements.
- Develop relationship with local health departments & provide guidance to operators regarding violations & requests.
- Project manage development of SOPs, training materials, crisis management. Project manage food safety initiatives from concept through to launch.
- Provide food safety guidance for store design, store development & refits & NROs.
- Manage vendor relationships & contracts for pest control.
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them & by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife & celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values & have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally & professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join thesweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us & everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, pleaseclick here.