Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
Were looking for a Director of Engineering, reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, to lead a group of software & systems engineers in our Operations-focused team. We design infrastructure & tooling, & provision, configure, & monitor the services in colo & cloud environments. The larger Operations team includes compute (colo, cloud, containers), storage, data store, operational tooling/software, email delivery, security, abuse prevention, & core product software development; you will oversee the success of a subset of these responsibilities.
We are excited by someone with an understanding of why & how diverse teams build better software/systems & create better cultures. You will understand the importance of culture to the teams productivity & overall benefit this has to Mailchimp as a whole. Were looking for someone comfortable with having high expectations of us, & comfortable that we will have high expectations of you. You will need to embody our motto of Listen Hard, Change Fast & be willing to question our current thinking.
What youll do:
- Recruit, onboard & grow team members building on the strategic roadmap.
- Ensure that the department is inclusive in its hiring processes & daily operations.
- Participate in & cultivate a culture of direct, compassionate feedback. Support a results-oriented work style.
- Work with the operations leadership to refine your teams strategic roadmap, as it supports the greater Engineering Technology roadmap & Mailchimp's strategic roadmap.
- Advocate for your team & its projects to Engineering Senior Leadership, & other leaders throughout the organization.
- Work with Product, Development, Support, IT, & QA teams to build tooling/infrastructure & documentation that helps meets the needs of those departments both today & tomorrow.
- Work with your team to develop plans to improve existing systems.
- Collaborate with operations leadership to ensure the organizational structure is a help, & not a hindrance, to our success.
- Explore creative business & technology practices & determine fit for team & company.
- Help identify & remove obstacles to project execution.
Wed love to hear from you if:
- You have experience leading large, accomplished operations teams with varied responsibilities & priorities.
- You are committed to growing an engaged, motivated, & healthy culture in an engineering organization.
- Fostering a diverse & inclusive team & environment is one of your many accomplishments.
- You have contagious enthusiasm for motivating & growing managers & individuals.
- You prefer to guide your teams in making decisions, relying on your technical leaders to make sound technical decisions & your managers to make sound personnel decisions. Sometimes they will make mistakes; you prefer to help them learn & grow from them.
- You are comfortable working with & integrating distributed team members.
- You have experience with vendor management & negotiation.
- You have a commitment to increasing efficiency in the workplace by reviewing & adjusting processes, department structure & tools.
- You have experience & enjoy working with & communicating strategic initiatives to varying levels of technical & non-technical peeps (C-level, VP, technical individual contributors, non-technical individual contributors).
- You have successfully managed complex projects & dependencies between teams.
- You have a working knowledge of internet operations & systems engineering.
- You have knowledge of Cloud Computing Infrastructure products (we use Google Cloud, but experience with other vendors is also useful).
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.