THIS IS BLUE APRON
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyonefrom the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured & perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious & healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, & cooking techniques with seasonally inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun & easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Aprons Analytics & Business Insights team develops critical metrics, actionable insights & insightful forecasts on our rapidly expanding customer base & the broader meal kit marketplace. This team also powers business decisions around complex supply chain & logistical challenges.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU
The Data Scientist will drive efforts to iteratively improve Blue Aprons long & near term forecasting methodologies & company-wide testing methodologies. This will include efforts to size risk & opportunity, diligently test new testing infrastructure, & determine the success of strategies in marketing, digital & physical products changes.
Candidates will be motivated self-starters who are comfortable navigating large datasets, building and/or interpreting predictive models, partnering with technical teams, & understanding customer demand signals. They will be intimately familiar with advanced statistical testing methodology & interpretation. They will be comfortable presenting findings through both verbal & written formats. Candidates will feel confident in their abilities to influence decision making at the highest levels, understand requirements in working with cross functional teams, & be confident in presenting to individuals of all levels throughout the company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with Demand Forecasting & Operations, Engagement Analytics, Acquisition Analytics, & Data Engineering teams to enable continuous implementation of sophisticated predictive statistical models on big data by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, running computational experiments, & fine-tuning model parameters
- Formalizing assumptions about how demand forecasts are expected to behave, creating definitions of outliers, developing methods to systematically identify outliers
- Finding root causes of forecast inaccuracy for Near-term & Long-term Forecasting
- Owns the design, development, & publication of automated A/B testing reports, including the accuracy of the underlying data
- Counsel business owners for hypothesis & success metrics definition as well as result interpretation & business impacts
- Have a deep understanding of statistics & testing methodologies
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Economics
- 2-5 years of experience in time series forecasting & in applying descriptive statistics, building predictive models & visualization to solve real-world problems
- 2+ years of experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL) & statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, Python)
- Proven ability to convey rigorous technical concepts & considerations to non-experts
- Strong statistics knowledge & experience to strengthen the validity of A/B tests, including statistical distributions & testing/sampling methodologies.
- In depth knowledge of web & mobile analytics (Google Analytics or Amplitude) a plus
- Natural curiosity & desire to learn
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.