Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
As a Guidance & Control Engineer, you will work on a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the attitude determination & control subsystem of the Planet Labs satellites. Key functions include development & implementation of attitude determination & control algorithms, anomaly resolution, spacecraft telemetry trending, & generation/validation of operational products related to attitude determination. You will be responsible for performing technical analysis to support flight operations & inform design decisions for future spacecraft. You will assist in the development & analysis of new mission concepts & support the development of the state estimation & commanding system for a three axis stabilized spacecraft. You will also build ground testing equipment for concept validation & have the opportunity to take designs from scratch to space operation.
Impact Youll Own:
- Hardware testing
- On-orbit operations
- Flight code development
What You Bring:
- Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field
- At least 5 years of experience as an estimation/controls engineer or related position
- Practical experience developing production-quality real-time systems in C for microcontroller or embedded Linux target
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink
- Familiarity with software engineering tools & processes (version control, code review, regression testing)
- Ability to test, evaluate & guide ADCS hardware decisions
- Working knowledge of optimal state estimation & control theory, force & momentum formulations, numerical methods & 6-DOF simulations
- Ability to carry out first-principles analysis & derive control/estimation specifications
- Practical experience troubleshooting & debugging complex systems
- Propulsion expertise
- Willing to do hands-on experiments & testing
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with STK, Python
- Established record of spacecraft project experience
- Experience in the design & calibration of low-cost sensors & actuators
- Basic understanding of orbital mechanics
- Experience in spacecraft or related flight operations
- Significant publications or conference presentations
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.