We are looking for a passionate backend engineer who is enthusiastic about & has experience building scalable, low latency & secure systems. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, in a team, building systems which service fitness content to all Peloton consumers over connected & digital devices. You will be responsible for leading large scale projects, collaborating within the team, & with cross functional teams on estimating project scopes, setting milestones, as well as identifying project risks & dependencies.
Design & Development
- Assume technical responsibility for new services & functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, & work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant applications.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture & development of new features & functionalities in the stack.
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor junior backend software engineers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
Drive Large-scale Projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- Experience in building scalable backend framework that supports a rapid growing user base
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience building Python or Java based backend framework at scale
- Experience with designing RESTful API
- Experience with working on service oriented architecture & RPC design
- Experience with concurrency & parallelism in Python and/or Java
- Experience with data modeling & at least one database engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with developing secure API endpoints
- Deep understanding of HTTP, TCP, SSL in API context
- Ability to own & deliver end to end API functionality from design/architect, to implementation, to testing, to production release & monitoring
- Ability to accomplish complex engineering task independently
- Ability to manage complex cross team coordinations & work closely with product owners
- Ability to evaluate & communicate different engineering solutions & trade-offs
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or in similar discipline years of work experience
- Experience working with gRPC & designing microservices from ground up
- Solid understanding of clean software design principles
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Worked in a Test Driven Development environment before
- Experience in building secure consumer facing APIs
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages & frameworks
- Continuous build experience in an Agile Environment
- Experience leading backend development & engineering
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) & based in our Santa Clara, CA office once it is safe to re-open the office.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.