Were looking for a General Counsel to help build out the 1stDibs Legal & Compliance function. In this role, you will be a thought partner & strategic advisor to the Executive Team & Board on all legal & business issues, & will report to the Chief Executive Officer as a member of the Executive Team.
This role is both a strategic & hands on role. We are seeking an experienced legal professional who will set the vision of a global legal strategy & help manage risk throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively interact with business leaders to find the right balance of executing strategy, mitigating risk, & advising on business decisions. In addition, & importantly, we are looking for an executive with an understanding of the fast moving operating environment of a digital growth company & an ability to be effective within that environment.
What youll do
- Oversee all legal & compliance matters, including transactions, litigation, governance, compliance, regulatory processes, & management of legal entities
- Review, help negotiate, & draft commercial contracts with customers & partners, including developing, improving & maintaining 1stDibs standard agreements
- Provide counsel as required on all aspects of the business, & efficiently manage outside counsel & insurance providers Drive strategic direction for Corporate transactions including fundraising, M&A, & other financial outcomes.
- Project & analyze outcomes of organizational decisions & advise of steps needed to deliver upon strategy & mitigate risk
- Keep abreast of administrative & regulatory requirements & proactively plans for future needs by educating Sr. Leadership Team & Board & putting to policies & processes in place
- Support international expansion strategy including foreign entity formation & foreign employment matters
- Develop & implement tools, processes, procedures & best practices with respect to legal, compliance & other company operations
- Manage robust intellectual property enforcement, including registration of IP rights (trademark, copyright, patent)
- Oversee a variety of employment issues, including separations, disputes, reorganizations
- Manage all aspects of dispute resolution & litigation
What youll bring
- Licensed attorney in New York State with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- In house legal responsibilities including familiarity with Corporate governance law
- Experience working at a law firm supporting corporate clients
- Experience with ecommerce, commercial transactions, corporate transactions & securities law
- Experience in both pre-and-post IPO company is preferred
- Experience building, managing & mentoring a team
1stDibs is the worlds largest online luxury marketplace for rare & desirable objects. It has become the go-to source for the world's leading interior designers & consumers to find antiques, furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion & fine art.
Backed by Benchmark Capital, T. Rowe Price, Insight Venture Partners, Index Ventures, Spark Capital & Alibaba, 1stdibs is a unique blend of expert curators & seasoned Internet executives from companies including eBay, Gilt, Google, FreshDirect, Mlb.com, Shutterfly, & Twitter.
1stDibs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity & we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, & we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.