The Co-Director of IF/Then Shorts will jointly oversee facets of this robust program, which awards monetary grants & provides year-round production & distribution mentorship to short form documentary storytellers across four U.S. regions & globally. The Co-Director will be responsible for building partnerships, developing new initiatives, identifying & acting on areas of development & fundraising, following & analyzing trends in the short documentary landscape, & serving as a liaison between community-based filmmakers & the larger documentary industry.
The ideal candidate will possess partnership development experience, strong communication skills in working with directors & producers, industry connections, strong attention to detail, the ability to advise filmmakers on production & distribution deal points & contracts, & a commitment to racial & gender equity. A successful candidate will be a leader in the documentary field with an eye to short form storytelling, a confident public speaker & be able to represent the program to the global filmmaking community.
This is a shared leadership role with one direct report.
Reports to - Charlotte Cook, Co-Founder & Executive Producer of Field of Vision
Program Development & Partnerships:
Initiate & develop partnerships & collaboration for the program, identifying areas of development & fundraising, to support the granting, production, & distribution of short-form content based on the needs of our grantees & to advance the program & the field at large.
- Identify potential funding avenues for IF/Then & its initiatives.
- Maintain connections with existing foundation & non-profit partners & lead conversations with (others) to explore potential for support.
- Write grant & program proposals & reporting narratives.
- Coordinate with the Philanthropy team.
- Budget oversight & reporting, internally & to funders. In collaboration with Co-Director.
- Works collaboratively with FOV leadership in fundraising strategy to align both orgs needs & strategy.
In collaboration with industry partners & IF/Then Shorts Co-Director, run open calls & program events.
- Develop, supervise, evaluate, & refine all aspects of the program as needed, in collaboration with Co-Director.
- Oversee & implement outreach of IF/Then Shorts.
- Attend workshops, film markets, & forums to represent IF/Then where needed.
Mentorship & Strategy Support:
Provide strategic guidance to filmmakers on film completion, festival strategy, outreach, & distribution.
- Overall guidance & strategy for IF/Then filmmakers around release, outreach & distribution.
- Program curation for special projects such as airline partnerships, educational distribution collections, theatrical release & special events for selected grantee projects.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned by the Field of Vision Executive Producer.
Background & Qualifications:
- Ability to build partnerships in the nonfiction film & media field, in the U.S. & internationally.
- Knowledge of the current philanthropic & film funding landscape
- Existing relationships in non-profit, foundation, & commercial funding spaces.
- Demonstrated experience with identifying funding opportunities & proposal writing & reporting.
- Comfortable with public speaking & representing IF/Then at public events
- Ability to travel
- Excellent judgment, decision making, & problem-solving skills.
- Detail- & deadline-oriented, with an ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate obstacles & to prioritize tasks across multiple simultaneous projects.
- Proactive commitment to advancing diversity, equity, & inclusion.
- Knowledge about the shorts distribution landscape.
- Existing relationships in the non-fiction space, preferably in short form.
- A keen eye for reviewing, selecting, & providing feedback on a range of film & media projects that fit the organizational mission & eligibility guidelines.
- Ease in building relationships & mentoring filmmakers of all experience levels to complete work to the best of their ability with program support.
- Experience developing & managing program budgets.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word & Excel.
- Adaptability to new software, tools, & platforms.
About FIRST LOOK MEDIA
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, FLM was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven organisation that commissions filmmakers & artists with developing & ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights & needs of filmmakers, & supporting cinematic innovation & representation. Recent projects have included the Oscar-winning feature AMERICAN FACTORY, the Oscar-nominated features STRONG ISLAND; HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING; & Oscar-nominated shorts A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN & IN THE ABSENCE, as well as the Emmy-winning feature CRIME + PUNISHMENT, & Emmy-nominated short THE SURRENDER.
Founded in 2015 & led by Co-Founder & Executive Producer Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 130 films - 45 features, 5 episodic series, & 85 short films. Field of Vision has an ongoing commitment supporting innovation & diversity & as such 54% of Field of Vision-supported films have been directed by women & 43% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, & IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury & other awards & nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker & The Intercept & Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New York's IFC Center & London's Institute for Contemporary Arts.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.