ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire an experienced Writer for its editorial team. This is not an entry-level role & candidates must be comfortable with a non-traditional schedule. theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds, & we understand how to write high quality journalism in theSkimms distinct voice. In this role, youll work closely with the Managing Editors & other editorial staff members to write the Daily Skimm newsletter & special projects or long-form content.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Write the Daily Skimm newsletter, this includes researching, writing, editing, fact checking, & publishing
- Build the Daily Skimm article on theSkimm.com & other platforms
- Assist with other editorial products such as web & theSkimm app
- Work on special projects and/or long-form content
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 4-6 years of traditional newsroom experience
- Experience working in a breaking news environment
- Excellent writing & editorial judgment
- Experience with research & fact-checking
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission, & the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter & a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Strong background in fact checking & research
- Expert understanding of news standards & best practices
- Experience in media development & strategy
- Experience with branded content
- Experience publishing through a CMS
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & Skimmd From the Couch, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives. Join us!
Please attach your resume & a cover letter. We're looking for voice, wit, & humor, so to the extent that you can, please write your cover letter in the style of a Daily Skimm newsletter.
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.