Managers of Product Engineering provide technical leadership in Appian solution development & are responsible for the professional growth & development of engineers working in that layer. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring & coaching to a small group of product engineers to improve their skills while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers are servant-leaders who should enjoy helping groups succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) & 25% managing direct reports. If an MPE is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be reduced (to roughly 30%).
- Leverage deep technical understanding of the Appian platform, data structures, algorithms, & design patterns to write applications & solutions in existing Appian frameworks (SAIL, Process Models, Rules, Expressions, & all Appian Objects) & light full-stack & mobile development.
- Leverage relevant application development experience to instill best practices in design & architecture, & increase development speed.
- Apply knowledge of the Appian platform, from design to underlying architecture, & effective code reviews & technical feedback.
- Contribute to application performance analysis & system tuning.
- Participate in story breakdowns, acceptance criteria definition, technical architecture & design, code review, & automated test development
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring, coaching, & guiding them in their career paths & foster a culture of learning & growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as time management, communication of raises & bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 6+ years in Appian application development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in a technical discipline (preferably Computer Science) or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.