Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Product Manager who is excited about building a scalable & reliable Cloud platform to join our Product team. You will define & execute the strategy for the core Cloud infrastructure platform that supports our SaaS offerings - CockroachDB Dedicated & Serverless.
Our platform engineering teams are responsible for ensuring that we meet the requirements of a wide variety of our customers through all stages of their growth while maintaining strict SLOs & SLIs. As the Staff Product Manager, you will partner closely with this team to plan & execute the roadmap. User journeys for this role include ensuring that our customers can provision & scale their Cloud clusters reliably, & that Cloud clusters have optimal compute, storage & networking resources across global public cloud regions while using cost-efficient & performant hardware, ensuring we support the major Cloud providers & their regions in our platform. You will also work with other product teams to incorporate projects in your roadmap to ensure that the Cloud clusters leverage CockroachDBs unique functionality & make CockroachDB Cloud the best place to run the worlds most mission-critical & data-intensive applications. Examples of this include partnering with our Security team to ensure the right security features for medium to large enterprises are built into the platform, partnering with the database storage & performance teams to make sure we have the optimal price/performance ratio for our clusters, & supporting multiple layers of high-availability features, disaster recovery & migration capabilities.
- Become the expert in our SaaS platform - its architecture & capabilities - to enable other stakeholder teams & customers success.
- Develop & execute a product strategy for CockroachDB Clouds cluster infrastructure, prioritizing across the different offerings.
- Leverage our analytics platform & metrics to measure & improve the reliability, security, & availability of the Cloud platform & to understand product adoption.
- Work directly with customers & internal stakeholders to understand & address their primary pain points, collecting product requirements & documenting customer needs.
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Documentation, Legal, Support & Revenue teams to come up customer-obsessed solutions & iterate toward a delightful user experience for every offering.
- Put yourself in our users shoes & set up CockroachDB Cloud clusters & scenarios to acceptance test features before they go live.
In the first 30 days, you will go through PM onboarding with your Roachmate. You will create Cloud clusters, test core features, getting a sense for the end to end experience for yourself. You will work with other Cloud PMs to understand the major user pain points for the area & spend time getting familiar with the specific developer & industry problems your team is solving. Youll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, & learn how to understand feature adoption.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team. You'll identify, research, & test solutions to problems. You will conduct customer calls & analyze telemetry to determine where the Cloud Infrastructure teams need to invest to grow our Cloud revenue. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in & you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customers expectations & allow them to seamlessly integrate CockroachDB Cloud into their operations. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB Cloud & that requires delightful, reliable, & scalable products built by you & your team.
- 10+ years of total work experience.
- Experience building infrastructure products or features in public clouds (AWS, GCP or Azure), preferably in the enterprise technology space.
- First-hand experience working with production systems or Cloud infrastructure.
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts & tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs.
- Experience working with engineering to prototype & iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- Experience working with medium-sized to large enterprises to understand & address problems & set proper timelines & expectations around feature delivery.
- Excellent writing skills. We rely on documents to align plans & requirements across teams.
- A collaborative approach & an eagerness to partner with other product teams & all other functions in the company.
Nice to Have
- Experience with OLTP or OLAP databases is an additional plus but not required or expected.
Reporting to Lakshmi Kannan - Director of PM, Cloud Platform & Security
Lakshmi is responsible for getting our SaaS offerings to product market fit. Lakshmi joined Cockroach Labs in 2018 & has since worked on different parts of the CockroachDB Cloud platform. She is excited to continue building a mission critical SaaS platform for some of the most valuable applications in the world. When not at work, Lakshmi enjoys trying out new recipes in the kitchen, hiking & being outdoors with her wife & dog in Colorado, & Crossfit workouts that keep her on her toes.
Partnering with Abhinav Garg - Principal PM & Steve Tidwell - Senior Engineering Manager
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $165,000 to $245,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, & geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary & fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidates qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, & competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, & recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life & disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, unlimited PTO, paid holidays, & parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.