We're looking for a VP of Retail Strategy & Finance to own the strategy & financials of our brick-and-mortar business, including location strategy, real estate, pro-forma modeling, & financial analysis. A we grow from a small handful of stores to a $100MM+ physical retail business, this brand- & financial-led leader will ensure that we are targeting the right cities, identifying & securing the right real estate opportunities with the right terms in those cities, & projecting & reporting on our financial performance (both online & offline, since we know stores impact our web business too). This role reports to our co-founder & CEO & is based in our Soho, NYC headquarters.
Some of what youll do:
- Lead the vision, strategy, real estate, & financials for our retail expansion, driving our approach to where we go, what locations we pursue, what deals we make, how we financially project the impact to our business, & how we measure success
- Develop a strategic roadmap to ensure were building a store fleet that will drive location convenience for our customers & be a highly profitable channel for the business
- Drive & negotiate all real estate deals to ensure we optimize for the right balance of risk, flexibility, & upside on a deal by deal basis
- Lead, build, & thoughtfully coach a small but mighty team to support on Real Estate & Finance for our retail expansion efforts
- Define & own the real estate & pro forma process as we accelerate the pace of new store openings, balancing both quantitative (financial performance) & qualitative (brand affinity) aspects of our retail strategy
- Use your strong knowledge of Finance, Retail, & Real Estate as well as data & insights from our own customers to set the vision & strategy for our Retail expansion roadmap
- Partner with our Data & Analytics team to develop an understanding of how store openings impact our web business & incorporate that evolving data into our strategic plans
- Partner with our VP of International on building our non-US Retail strategy as we expand to new international markets
- Partner with our Director of Retail Experience & Store Operations to collaborate on FOH/BOH needs within our real estate strategy
- Build an engaging work environment thats aligned with achieving ambitious goals
- Partner with the rest of the senior management team on forward-looking business strategy
- Provide leadership & mentorship for the entire company as we transition from being a startup to a global organization by thoughtfully guiding & teaching those around you
- Embody our core values & add to our culture
Who you are:
- You have at least 15 years of experience in Finance, Retail, & Strategy for companies that sell products both in stores & via e-commerce, including a deep understanding of the retail real estate landscape & financial modeling
- You are low-ego, high-energy, & exhibit the qualities of a servant leader, always asking what you can do to make everyone around you more successful
- You constantly question the status quo & believe there is always a way we can continuously improve
- You are able to execute on todays challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where well be six months, a year, & several years from now
- You are a true listener & believe it takes multiple points of feedback & perspective to develop the right strategy
- You are data driven & goal oriented, you measure success both quantitatively & qualitatively & understand the importance of both
- You have the highest integrity & act as a financial steward
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, & you know how to make people listen & understand
- You are curious & resourceful, with a natural ability to solve problems & seek new information
- You love to travel (but that's a given)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have flexible PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. Were building a company with a mission to make travel more seamlessstarting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, were working to build the #1 travel brand in the world.
To date weve sold more than 500,000 suitcases, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, & grown to a team of more than 150 people. We know thats just the beginning.
Fast Company named us one of their 2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies, we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, & called a Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing by Adweek.