Reports To: Insurance Accounting Manager (Spinnaker)
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We strive to provide them with nothing less than the best policies, best value & best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasnt enough, its really just the beginning. Hippos true ambition lies in helping prevent people from having problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
This approach is clearly resonating with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average & insures more than $50B in property value. Were looking for the very best talent in the world to help us continue to find new ways of fundamentally redefining the role insurance plays in peoples lives.
In this light, as of September 1, 2020, Hippo & Spinnaker Insurance have joined forces to build a whole new type of insurance company forging a new path in the insurance industry.
Based in New Jersey, Spinnaker is a national property & casualty insurance company rated A- by A.M. Best Company; & is a wholly owned & independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted insurance products in 50 states & jurisdictions, Spinnaker utilizes program administrators & managing general agents to access niche markets, focusing on personal lines, specialty lines, & fronted opportunities.
About This Role
We are looking for a Senior Accountant, working in a fast-paced cross-functional capacity. You will work closely with the Companys Finance, Underwriting, & Claims teams & be exposed to all facets of an insurance companys operations.
- Self-motivated & directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous & expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity & a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible & willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced & dynamic
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to improve financial reporting & provide support to the business.
- Perform key tasks in the GAAP & Statutory financial statement close process in accordance with the monthly, quarterly, & year-end close calendar in coordination with Spinnaker, Hippo, & external consultants for multiple subsidiaries.
- Perform significant tasks in the financial reporting process. Prepare, review, and/or approve monthly journal entries.
- Work proactively with underwriters, claims, program administrators, reinsurance brokers, & reinsurers to resolve reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Prepare & review quarterly & annual statutory schedules such as schedule T, state pages & schedule P.
- Research technical GAAP & Statutory accounting literature: prepare accounting position memos & policies & prepare & maintain standard operating procedures.
- Involved in data warehouse system deployment. Reconcile & analyze related data & transactions to source systems.
- Establish & maintain positive relationships with third parties including reinsurance partners, program administrators & managing general agents, third party vendors.
- Perform financial compliance duties associated with annual & ongoing filing processes across 50 states.
- Assist on special projects & other duties as assigned by management.
- Identify & follow best practices to increase the efficiency & effectiveness of the accounting & financial reporting function.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 3+ years in the property & casualty insurance industry
- 3+ years in finance & accounting roles
- Experience working with Managing General Agents, Program Administrators, & Claims Third Party Administrators
- Understanding of insurance financial operations including underwriting, claims, & reinsurance is preferred
- Knowledge of US Statutory & US GAAP accounting principles
- Advanced Excel skills & experience with financial reporting systems
- Experience with accessing data from databases
- Experience with Eagle Wings & NetSuite (preferred but not required)
Compensation & Perks
- Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience & equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, & flexible spending accounts
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Spinnaker is a wholly owned, but independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, & we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity & inclusion.
Hippos applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippos People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.