MakerBot believes there's an innovator in everyone. As a global leader in desktop 3D printing, we set the standard in reliability & ease-of-use by providing effective solutions for every stage of the desktop 3D printing process. From the start, we have also redefined what's possible for makers of all walks by introducing many industry firsts. Today, we are proud to both serve the largest install base of 3D printers worldwide & run the largest 3D design community in the world. Take a look at thingiverse.com (re-designed this year) & our product line at makerbot.com.
Over the past few years, weve enhanced the functionality & accessibility of our printers through a web-based ecosystem of MakerBot apps & services. In the last year weve expanded on that vision by leading the industry with 100% cloud-operable printers. And the web team makes that possible. Your work will have an enormous impact on our users.
While we are currently remote, we are looking for candidates who could eventually come into the Brooklyn office as well, once we are able to.
In a nutshell, we are looking for someone who:
- Can take a feature from concept to execution by thinking through problems & potential pain points & offer solutions while working in harmony with others involved in the process.
- Is able to understand, maintain, & build upon existing systems.
- Can work with junior developers & help grow their skills by creating backbones that others can build upon.
Specifically, a successful candidate will have:
- Passion for collaboration across team & company
- A strong bias for maintainable & performant code
- Skills & motivation to troubleshoot defects & production issues
- Proactive ownership of stories & projects & commitment to successful delivery
- Empathy for our users & aims to do right by them
- Enough experience to feel comfortable owning their projects. 5+ years working with large projects using similar technologies. They will ultimately be creating, reviewing, & approving architectural design for our 3D printing web services & end-user applications
- Test early, test often philosophy in unit, feature & regression testing to ensure high quality components & services
- Strong written communication skills & a belief in the power of documentation
- Knowledge & experience with Cloud infrastructure to understand the impact of your code on performance & to troubleshoot issues
- The ability to write & consume service APIs
- As user data is very important for providing a customized experience, a thorough understanding of security best practices is necessary
How we work:
- We are a compact and nimble team. We arent afraid to try new things if something isnt working but we also aim to be pragmatic about scope & timelines & seek to find the right balance
- We follow some overarching principles of agile & scrum methodologies. Specifically, we work in multi-week sprints, run a casual daily stand-up, & hold spirited sprint planning & sprint retrospective meetings
- After passing all unit tests, new code goes through an asynchronous (i.e. via GitHub) peer review cycle and followed by automation testing before it gets sent off to spend some quality time with our QA and Product teams
- We have a fully automated CI/CD infrastructure, but stick to a coordinated weekly release schedule to align teams
- Cloud-native application & Microservice architecture
- SQL & NoSQL DB design
- OAuth 2.0 & general web authentication
- HTML5 & CSS/Sass
- Web API performance optimization
- Git/GitHub (or equivalent)
- Browser rendering optimization
- Experience with building & managing containerized apps (i.e., Docker)
- Experience with PHP
- An interest in 3D printing.
- Competency in DevOps type tasks and Cloud Computing
- Experience with hardware/Software integration
- Automated testing
- Experience with Golang
Additional tools & Technology we use:
- Google Cloud Platform
- CircleCI & Harness
- Docker & Kubernetes
- Google Cloud Functions
- DataDog & GCP Monitoring
- Gulp, Sass
Other things we do (now virtually!):
- Demo Day: Every other Friday the software, product, & design teams gather to share what weve been working on. Its a nice way to wind down the week. Soft drinks & beer provided!
- Programming Workshop: On non-Demo Day Fridays we hold an optional programming workshop. This a team-driven meeting where topics are suggested by all of us. Want to learn something new? Suggest it! Want to tell everyone how great some new tech is? Propose it! Beverages provided.
- Training Opportunities: Is there a conference or training youd like to attend? A book you want to buy? We can make that happen!
- Quarterly team outings: We carve out time to have fun on company time! Events in the past have included: catching a film & grabbing lunch at the nearby Alamo Drafthouse; playing games, sipping beers, & slamming snacks at Barcade, & exploring good eats in Brooklyn on a local food tour. We are always open to suggestions!
Sometimes, its the little (virtual) things:
- Weekly virtual, after-work yoga.
- Access to 3D printers, of course. But also helpful people who love sharing their knowledge & expertise to help & teach you how to use them.
The compensation package includes health, dental, vision benefits, pre-tax benefits for transit, 401K matching, & three weeks of vacation.
This is a great opportunity to make a big impact in a unique industry working with amazing people.
MakerBot, a subsidiary of Stratasys. (Nasdaq: SSYS), is a global leader in the 3D printing industry. Founded in 2009 in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot strives to redefine the standards for reliability & ease-of-use. Through this dedication, MakerBot has one of the largest install bases in the industry & also runs Thingiverse, the largest 3D printing community in the world.
MakerBot's connected 3D printing solutions address the wider needs of professionals & educators, evolving their ideas from inspiration to innovation.
MakerBot is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard public assistance, veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.