Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Consumer Team:
The Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people interact with to get helpful, positive tips from our trusted global community & keep track of where theyve been & where you want to go, all in one place. This includes our mobile apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm & Rewards & the backend platform that powers the experience. We spend time building features & products that provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Consumer team is a high impact team & a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the Role:
This role is responsible for the architecture, design, & development of a microservice platform that powers Foursquare consumer apps. The software engineer will work closely with the product management, program management & mobile engineering teams to ensure alignment with the product roadmap & company vision.
Responsibilities of the Role:
- Review product requirements for technical feasibility & create technical specifications
- Implement new features in existing microservices and/or create greenfield services for new functionality
- Evaluate new geolocation & location based technologies for incorporation into our platform
- Learn, grow & mentor!
- Strong Scala (or other functional language) or Java (or other OOP language) experience we use Scala!
- Proven experience building scalable, reliable, performant REST APIs
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design
- Familiarity with AWS (or other cloud hosting environments such as GCP or Azure)
- Comfortable in a small & fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field or equivalent experience
Nice to Have:
- CI/CD using Jenkins, Terraform
- Experience with location based services
- Experience with Android and/or iOS
Perks & benefits:
- Learning & development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.