SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (AVIONICS HARNESSING/SOLAR)
- Perform a hands-on engineering & liaison role between the harness design team & our production organization as SpaceX works to implement new designs into the manufacturing phase
- Become the first-responder for production related non-conformances, drive to root cause & disposition according to manufacturing policies
- Update designs & processes when necessary in response to manufacturing issues, parts obsolescence, & system requirement changes
- Participate in design reviews acting as an expert in design for testability, design for manufacturability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, & quality control
- Prepare product & process reports by collecting, analyzing, & summarizing information & trends
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including schematic diagrams, bills of materials, suitable alternate parts lists, mechanical drawings, assembly procedures, & test procedures
- Drive lean projects to improve the manufacturing process to eliminate waste, reduce cost & improve yield
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or physics
- 1+ years of hands on experience driving the design, development or manufacturing of mechanical/electrical components or systems (internship & project team experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing environment working within a recognized quality system (e.g. AS9100, ISO9001)
- Experience with automotive, aerospace or marine harnessing
- Demonstrated professional experience providing engineering & manufacturing support for the production of highly complex electronic products
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience using NX/Unigraphics software
- Experience interpreting & creating component & assembly drawings to ASME Y14.5 standards
- Experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Six Sigma Belt
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry & human spaceflight
- Programming experience in Python, SQL, & web languages
- Experience in fast-paced iterative design environments within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Capable of solving complex manufacturing problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal
- Knowledge of ERP systems, work order creation/management & BOM structures
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.