We are looking for a Real Estate Lead who will lead strategy & execution of retail real estate as we expand our store footprint from the 6 stores we have today to several dozen over the next few years. The right person for this role is excited to build relationships & scour properties to ensure that Away has access to the best locations as we continue to grow out our brick-and-mortar presence. You deeply understand being both data-driven as well as brand-driven, using our numbers to guide us to the right area & your feeling for brand, adjacencies, & space feelings to find the right locations. This fast-paced role will collaborate with our Finance, Retail Experience, & Legal teams & work to achieve our strategic expansion goals, defining what the markets were looking at & why. This role based in our our Soho, New York Headquarters.
What youll do:
- Create a long-term plan for new store locations & renewals, both domestically & around the world
- Spearhead all real estate expansion, including strategy & execution, as we open 10+ new stores per year
- Own lease negotiations with landlords & brokers
- Provide real estate recommendations & opportunities to inform store selection decisions; prepare & present pro forma budgets for new store opportunities
- Work closely with our Financial Planning & Analysis team to assess success of the opportunities being considered
- Frequently travel to proposed market areas, as well as existing store locations, for evaluations & inspections
- Collaborate with our retail team to create project deadlines, amend existing & administer new leases, & manage other real estate activity
- Challenge the status quo in leading the store portfolio into new strategies for store design & optimization
- Develop systems & processes to maintain key real estate documents, a document base, & real estate calendar
- Work with internal & external attorneys to review, negotiate, & finalize leases in a timely fashion
- Ensure site selection & acquisition runs smoothly, regarding meeting deadlines & real estate strategies for launches & relocations
Who you are:
- You have at least 5 years of retail real estate experience overseeing site evaluation & selection, making deals, managing a store portfolio, & facilitating approvals
- You have a strong industry network of contacts including brokers & developers in all corners of retail
- You have proven negotiation skills in getting the best possible deal in every situation, drawing from your experience in managing relationships with external stakeholders
- You are data-driven & goal-oriented you measure success both quantitatively & qualitatively, & understand the importance of both
- You partner effectively with others in order to provide solutions in all areas of the department & overall business, & youre able to multi-task & manage multiple projects at once.
- Your communication skills are unrivaled, & you know how to make people listen & understand
- You love to travel (but that's a given)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have flexible PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.