Were looking for someone who can confidently & credibly help lead the organization through a period of massive growth. Like all management positions at Okta, the Solutions Engineering Manager is expected to be hands on & leading from the front.
This individual will act as a leader within the Solutions Engineering team & across the larger Okta organization; constantly looking for ways to expand on our success. They will build teams that can execute today; & grow to meet our future needs. Will define & maintain a high bar for expectations & support the team in achieving it. Challenge the team to continually grow. Drive your teams needs with the product teams in headquarters & use your internal network & the presales leadership team to leverage best practices from around the world.
- BS or BA degree required.
- 10+ years experience supporting technical sales of enterprise IT solutions to corporate accounts or equivalent industry experience.
- Must be willing & able to act independently, including working at home & alone on client sites.
- Must be a self-starter, with both the ability to work independently or in a team.
- A strong technical background in Information Technology Security is desirable.
- A passion to serve the customer, which has played out in some customer-facing role like consulting or support, ideally sales engineering.
- An ability to quickly communicate complex ideas around a technical topic, ideally on the fly at a whiteboard.
- Understands SaaS business models & preferably has working experience on Saas platforms.
- Knowledge of at least some of the following technologies: IAM, CIAM, VPN, MDM, Active Directory, LDAP.
- Knowledge around the Okta platform & competitor product offerings would be an advantage.
- You are an elite communicator
- Typically 20-30% travel, with peaks of 40%.
The following skills will further contribute to your credibility & success with your team, our customers, our product teams & your peers:
- Experience selling, designing or deploying an Identity Management Solution.
- Experience with at least one standard network security protocol.
- (ex: OAuth, OAuth2, SAML, LDAP)
- An understanding of core security concerns within a typical application.
- (ex: password hashing, SSL/TLS, encryption at rest, XSS, XSRF)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS or a comparable field is preferred.
- Provide leadership, guidance & direction to lead a high performing team.
- Manages the hiring, staffing, & development of a diverse & effective workforce.
- Define a technical strategy to support the company objectives.
- Define compensation plan based on goals.
- Develop & execute on a hiring/retention strategy, as well as analyze turnover.
- Define headcount plan to support the company objectives.
- Build a talent pipeline of potential candidates.
- Work with operations & finance to define quarterly budget.
Resource Planning & Allocation
- Define Oktas roles, responsibilities, & mappings.
- Collaborate with regional sales leadership to prioritize & target team opportunities.
- Review quantitative information to identify & explain trends. Align resources to deliver on commitments & drive results.
- Focus on building capacity to achieve high team performance based on customer & partner resource needs.
- Align resources to deliver on commitments & drive results.
- Define a development path for each team in collaboration with other leaders. This will include both internal & external training, & certifications.
- Implement skills assessments.
- Develop & execute Oktas strategies while identifying opportunities for process improvement.
- Participate in & contribute to regular sales forecast & pipeline reviews.
- Lead team to technical account & partner strategies that align to customer business requirements & goals. Assign and/or request for appropriate resources.
- Assist in determining & requesting for domain/solution-focused resources (e.g. Solution Architects, Product Management) when necessary.
- Drive qualified enablement.
- Drive tracking & reporting team metrics in SFDC.
- This includes establishing goals, assigning or delegating work, providing on-the-job training, giving guidance to staff, conducting performance evaluations, developing performance improvement plans, taking disciplinary action, & interviewing candidates for open positions.
- Responsible for career development/planning, performance & pay discussions of team members.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional written & verbal communication skills.
- Expert project management & negotiation skills.
- Expert knowledge of the Okta product line.
- Ability to navigate & influence in matrix organization.
- Ability to lead in a constantly evolving environment, manage multiple priorities & ambiguity.
- Ability to converse with technical & business personnel fluently at all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to articulate complex technologies.
- Ability to partner effectively with sales executives to identify new sales strategies & market opportunities.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative & successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies & provides flexible benefits & collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best & uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.