Are you passionate about open source, you get why it exists, why it works, & where it makes the most sense? Are you naturally curious & comfortable diving into varying codebases, getting productively lost, finding your way back out, & leaving the place better than you found it? Are you an experienced engineer who is ready for new challenges, more influence, control & massive opportunity for growth by joining a rapidly growing product company only a few years into their journey, the clear leader in working with Time Series data, the fastest-growing database technology on the planet?
If so, we've been looking for you!
Telegraf is a community of over 2000 contributors who have helped build an open-source plugin-driven agent for collection & reporting of metrics from over 200 different input types, such as systems, networks, databases, & IOT sensors. It translates the inputs & forwards those metrics & events to over 30 output types including InfluxDB. InfluxData is the original author of the Telegraf agent & many of its plugins. InfluxData also manages & maintains the Telegraf open source project. Organizing a Go project with this level of diversity & size is uniquely challenging. There are a huge range of actively used plugins from docker & Github to mysql & memcached (and of course, InfluxDB), so it's a broad & fascinating ecosystem.
InfluxData is looking for a senior engineer to join our Telegraf team who is passionate about working in open source & DevOps community, embraces modern communication styles & mediums, & loves connecting to community members through events & online engagement programs.
What You'll Be Doing
- Partner with the Open Source community to continuously improve & expand Telegraf & the Telegraf community & ecosystem
- Develop Telegraf plugins for diverse subsystems
- Troubleshoot issues & address bugs, requests, & ideas
- Communicate in writing & develop publicly within the Telegraf/InfluxDB community
- Directly contribute while soliciting & organizing community contribution to articles, guides, application architecture references, & code
- Contribute to other Influxdata open-source projects
What You'll Bring To The Team
- Advanced developer with at least 5 years professional development experience in complex software projects
- Experienced Go developer with a focus on system level software, in networking, and/or backend code
- Broad knowledge of protocols, technology stacks, APIs - the more the merrier
- Experience working in open source communities
- Experience in testing & version control & all the other tools & techniques that allow you to ensure production-quality code used in a wide variety of system architectures across various on-prem, cloud, hybrid, & IoT environments.
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub)
- Excellent verbal & written English communication skills
Bonus If You Have
- Familiarity with Telegraf
- Rust development experience
- Committer/maintainer in an open source community, or leadership experience in an open source community
- Experience working with distributed development teams
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
Many InfluxData employees are remote* so you have your choice of working remote or out of our San Francisco office. (*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy & the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OK, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA.)
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, & Battery Ventures, & a Y Combinator success story. Headquartered in San Francisco, InfluxDatas workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. & across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers & computers. We are on a mission to help developers & organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, & Tesla, store & analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, & IoT applications quicker & to scale.
We offer fantastic benefits; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees & dependents
- Company contribution to FSA & commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- & long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company & only by having a core set of beliefs & values will we be successful. We hire & live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters & recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.