The AccuWeather IT organization is seeking a highly motivated leader with exceptional strategic, operational, entrepreneurial, & interpersonal skills & deep expertise in web based platforms & APIs to join the Software Development leadership team as Senior Director, Technology. Someone who likes to experiment, innovate, & engineer breakthrough customer experiences, bring simplicity to software engineering, & drive quality throughout the organization.
Who You Are
As the Senior Director, Technology, you'll lead & influence a high performing development organization to consistently deliver complex web, mobile web, advertising, SDK, & API platforms, & drive innovation, cutting-edge technologies, & world-class quality into AccuWeather's products. We are looking for someone who is technically strong, energetic, highly collaborative, & passionate about software architecture, design & implementation, AccuWeather's products, & our customers.
What You Will Be Doing
- Lead, manage, & grow multiple teams of product focused software engineers
- Work with product & program management teams to develop & deliver on software roadmaps
- Define, implement, & continuously improve software engineering, testing, & delivery practices
- Work across Agile teams to develop, test, implement, & support full stack technical solutions
- Drive performance, availability, resilience, & scalability into flagship product offerings
- Experiment with & learn new technologies & stays on top of technology trends
- Encourage diversity, innovation, outside-the-box thinking, collaboration, & self-organization
- Collaborate with other leaders & peers to define, execute, & drive Corporate & IT strategies
- Work with external vendors in defining & developing initiatives that support AccuWeathers business & technology needs
- Contributes to the development of an operating plan & budget
- Mentors & guides the professional & technical development of engineers on your team
- Coaches team members to progress career goals & personal development goals
- Attracts & retains diverse, high performing, software engineering leaders & individuals
- Participate in internal & external technology communities & mentor members of the engineering community
Experience We Are Looking For
- BS/BA in related discipline with 12+ years experience & 7+ years management experience
- Proven history of technical & organizational leadership
- Proven ability to lead & work within geographically distributed engineering teams
- Mastery of software engineering & testing processes & concepts
- Mastery of Agile, DevOps, Automation, & CI/CD processes & concepts
- Deep understanding of & experience with global, large scale, distributed platforms
- Deep understanding of & experience with cloud platforms (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud)
- Deep understanding of & experience with CDN implementation & caching strategies (Akamai)
- Experience integrating with pre-bid & ad platforms & SDKs (DFP, A9, Carambola, Beemray, etc.)
- Experience with performance engineering & monitoring, logging, & analytics tools
- Proficient in C#, Java, Objective-C, or similar
- Experience leading teams of 20 or more software engineers
- Experience managing contracting vendors & consultants
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, & willing to take ownership
- Strong verbal / written communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, & analytical skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands & arms; & talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand & stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, & ability to adjust focus. Minimal travel (10%) is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work is usually quiet.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity & inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging & profitable.