We are looking for a passionate API Engineering Manager who is enthusiastic about & has experience in leading a team of engineers building scalable, secure APIs. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, elevating & defining a team that speaks to the workout experience, to all Peloton consumers. You will be responsible for building out a new team, leading large scale projects, working with cross functional teams & advocating for customer experience in workouts. Ultimately, you will be leading a team that will not only enhance the Peloton workout experience, but also bring it to millions of more members.
Power the Peloton Experience
As a member of Pelotons Product Engineering API team youll be building out technology solutions that enable a world class user experience across the Peloton platform for a global audience. We enable our members to take live & on-demand classes across any number of fitness disciples, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, & much more. You will be leading & building out a team of talented engineers in ensuring our members get the best possible experience.
Design & Development
- Assume technical leadership for APIs that power & are driven by members interactions
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant systems.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture & development of new features & functionalities in the stack.
- Support-what-you-build, including monitoring, performance tuning, & responding to incidents.
- Staff & lead a team of engineers responsible for our member interaction APIs.
- Lead, coach, & mentor API developers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & industry best practices.
- Instill a culture of automation, re-use & engineering efficiency.
- Architect a vision for how, long term, we can engage, retain, empower, & motivate members through world class backend engineering.
Drive large-scale projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Platform, Program Management in order to define & deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- 5+ years of software development experience, with experience building complex backend systems
- 2+ years of leadership experience in team leadership & technology management
- Passion for building a scalable backend architecture that supports a rapid growing user base
- Well proven understanding of system design, API design & database design
- Ability to evaluate & communicate different engineering solutions & trade-offs
- Experience working with Agile methodology & delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team
- Ability to identify strengths & weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness; provide guidance to individuals when needed for coaching or mentoring
- Ability to mediate between competing technical priorities; align priorities & goals through collaboration with technical leads & product managers
- Effectively communicate between teams & within teams in order to drive alignment & increase effectiveness on delivery
BONUS POINTS IF YOU:
- Experience with transitioning from a monolith to a SOA
- Experience with Python & Kotlin development
- Roll up your sleeves & take on development work
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) & based in our Santa Clara, CA office once safe to re-open our offices.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.