Our mission is to connect the worlds photographers. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website & mobile apps to find, share, & get rewarded for the worlds most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we build & love what we do. Our company culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, & getting stuff done.
Our data layer includes: Python, Luigi-based ETL pipeline, Kinesis, S3, Athena, EMR, Redshift, Redash, Looker, & various other services.
We are looking for an experienced Team Lead who can manage the data scientists & engineers, & help the company moving forward confidently with data-informed decisions in all aspects.
What You'll Be Doing
- Recruit, lead & mentor the data team members to conduct data collection, analysis, & reporting, supporting 500px business objectives & initiatives.
- Work closely with the product, marketing & design teams to define & answer business questions in a measurable & actionable manner.
- Develop data collection plans, work with other engineering teams to execute them, & ensure the integrity of data collected.
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of data products & reports against the companys needs & set timelines.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the data layer & its major components.
- Identify major data debts that would hurt the data analysis or reduce the team efficiency, & prioritize them according to their business impacts.
- Develop reports, dashboards & key tools for tracking KPIs & critical milestones; provide summary of status & tracking against established timelines & KPIs on a regular basis to key stakeholders across the business line & senior leadership team.
- Communicate the main business goals & vision to team members to ensure good team alignment.
- Build quality data team through knowledge sharing, personal development events, & other activities.
- Evaluate individual performance & conduct regular 1-1s to recognize each individuals achievements, discuss areas of improvements, & help engineers develop career growth plans.
- Educate the rest of company about data-driven decision making & self-serve BI solutions.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- A Bachelor's or Masters degree in statistics, computer science, math, physics, or a related quantitative field.
- 5+ years of experience with statistical sciences: statistical modelling & data mining.
- Expert knowledge of MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Hands-on experience with Python and/or R.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Empathy for your users & teammates.
- Grit: when the need arises you are willing to work through messy details with your team to achieve success; you persevere when others fall away.
- A bias towards action: the ability to cut through any issue, identify the salient points, & rally a team around addressing them
- High standards: for yourself & your team
You'll get bonus points for
- A love of photography & familiarity with the 500px platform
- Knowledge of advanced data analysis topics such as: causal inferences, data simulation, or correlated data analysis (e.g., survival analysis, longitudinal analysis, time series analysis & forecasting)
- Working experience with python libraries for data wrangling, visualization, mining & modelling (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, NLTK)
- Working experience with R packages for data wrangling, visualization & modelling (e.g., reshape2, dplyr, stringr, lubridate, ggplot2, car, forecast, randomforeset, Caret, survival)
- Knowledge of business intelligence such as SaaS metrics, time series forecasting, or pricing analysis
- Knowledge of data warehousing & ETL
- Experience with web scraping
- Knowledge of NoSQL (MongoDB)
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches, snacks & drinks
- Great health & dental benefits
- Professional development opportunities
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager.
- Data challenge: a take-home test to analyze a sample of 500px dataset & build an insightful presentation.
- In-person interviews: 2-3 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, & we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.