Appian is looking for a Corporate Tax Manager to lead activities related to income tax accounting, global compliance & reporting, & controls. The Corporate Tax Manager will have the opportunity to work across all tax areas in a global tax function.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead & coordinate the preparation of all aspects of global tax accounting & reporting, including the quarterly & annual tax provision process & tax sections of the SEC reporting & footnote disclosures.
- Manage the income tax compliance process, including preparation & review of the federal, state, & foreign income tax returns & extensions prepared by outsourcing partners.
- Prepare state apportionment calculations including analyzing state apportionment data & research state apportionment rules to ensure compliance with state laws.
- Perform transfer pricing calculations & work with advisors to ensure compliance with global transfer pricing documentation requirements including country-by-country reporting.
- Handle tax audits & respond to other inquiries. Maintain current, audit-ready work papers & financial records for all filings.
- Determine & calculate tax credit opportunities including federal & state R&D credits.
- Maintain analysis of tax general ledger accounts & prepare tax account reconciliations.
- Perform project-oriented tax research & analysis & maintain technical expertise over new & relevant tax pronouncements across all tax areas.
- Research & evaluate the tax effects of entering new markets (income, VAT, withholding tax, compliance, etc.) & work with local advisors to ensure that all requirements are met. Partner with Director to advise the leadership team on the global tax implications of business activities.
- Assist with sales & use, property tax, gross receipts, & business license filings, as necessary.
- Work on new business initiatives including those in tax technology & automation to make the compliance & reporting process more efficient.
- Collaborate & work closely with accounting, legal, sales, & human resources.
- No direct supervision of staff
- May require some indirect supervision of staff
- Bachelors degree in Finance or Accounting & CPA certification required.
- MS in Accounting or Taxation or JD preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of ASC 740 tax accounting experience required.
- Public accounting & software company experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite & Vertex are a plus, but not required.
- Friendly & strong communication skills, both orally & written, is required for regular & frequent interaction with sales & legal personnel, senior management, & outside auditors.
- Energetic & very collaborative attitude with demonstrated ability to work in a team setting in a fast paced & deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptionally strong tax accounting knowledge required
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- Ability to respond to inquiries from management, customers & external auditors
- Ability to think & work both independently & as part of a team.
- Ability to work in an area requiring special attention to detail & adherence to deadlines.
- Willingness to grow & take on more responsibilities as required.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.