Away is seeking a Director, China Expansion to develop strategy & process for market entry & market growth in China as well as coordinate between our global HQ in New York City & China office in Shanghai. This role reports to the VP, International & will be based in our global headquarters in SoHo, NYC, with regular travel to Asia.
What Youll Do:
- You will partner with the VP, International & Managing Director, China in all aspects of market entry strategy & execution, from market research & discovery to in-market CX, retail, & operations resourcing to liaising with potential third party vendors, ensuring that all strategic decisions take into account both local & HQ contexts.
- Prior to a full local team being hired in Shanghai, you will work on a variety of ad hoc special projects across multiple areas, from marketing & hiring to vendor RFPs & physical retail site selection, in support of our China operations (e.g., develop our initial WeChat strategy).
- Once a local team is built out in Shanghai, you will serve as the New York City-based lead for coordination between the two offices, ensuring that all communication & decision-making is as seamless as possible across functional areas, from digital marketing to warehousing & fulfillment to physical retail operations.
- You will work with project management to define project scopes, identify resourcing needs, establish milestones / OKRs, etc. to support our China office with all major in-market activities.
- While mainland China will be the primary focus of this role, you will also serve as market entry lead for Hong Kong, developing a strategy for how we enter the market via both e-commerce & physical retail & ensuring it is coordinated with our strategy in mainland China.
You Should Have:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in marketing, operations, strategy, or international expansion, with at least 2 years of experience working in mainland China
- A deep understanding of the Chinese consumer & the American retail context
- An entrepreneurial orientation & ability to project manage cross-functional departments from the global team to support the launch & ongoing operations of new markets
- The ability to transform abstract problems into concrete solutions & tactics
- Experience in both e-commerce & physical retail operations prior familiarity with Tmall operations is a must
- Must have full professional fluency in Mandarin Chinese (speaking, reading, writing)
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but thats a given!)
You Will Love Working At Away Because
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have five (5) weeks a year to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer pension plan contribution & a great work environment
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups & our growing team in the UK, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more...
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, & launched several new products & experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know thats just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies, one of TIMEs 50 Most Genius Companies, & a Forbes Next Billion Dollar Startup. We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, were expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness & lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US & abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? Were hiring!