Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most. To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT PURPOSE CLIMATE LAB
The Purpose Climate Labs mission is to accelerate & build the ambition of just climate solutions around the globe. We support innovative climate campaigns & cultural interventions using an experimental approachembracing failure as an opportunity to learn & innovateand taking advantage of cutting-edge digital & communications strategies to achieve meaningful impact. Our work is rooted in our partnership with a wide variety of key stakeholders, ranging from local organizations, to businesses, to key influencers specific to the geographies we engage in.
We embrace the idea of movement generosity, delivering our support & strategic campaigning in the spirit of building local capacity, & operating under the brands most compelling to our partners & their stakeholders. We are committed to transparencysharing our information, learning & relationships with others who might use it. This series of case studies is part of our commitment to sharing what we do, in hopes of spreading best practices & innovation across our field.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Finance Manager is offered at the Manager tier based in our US office. The role is responsible for all financial areas relating to the Purpose Climate Lab. This position will be responsible for delivering finance principles, practices, & procedures to ensure accurate & timely finance
reporting. This position addresses tight deadlines & a multitude of finance activities including grant reporting, & budget & forecast activities. The Finance Manager will have contact with senior-level directors & the firms CFO, Controller, & FP&A Manager which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written & verbal. Purpose seeks a top performing individual to fill this critical role.
- Support the organization in financial budgeting & forecasting, primarily for the Purpose Climate Lab.
- Help to develop & maintain monthly/weekly reporting packages for Purpose Climate Lab that include financial statements, KPI reporting, analysis of business trends, & comprehensive executive level explanations of variances & performance.
- Continuous review of reporting & process with dedication to ensure reporting is both relevant & produced efficiently.
- Provide financial impact modelling for different business scenarios & strategic initiatives.
- Partner with both the central finance team & local teams to provide insightful analysis. Prepare detailed budget variance analysis & support the business in identifying key drivers.
- Coordinate reporting & budgeting process, including but not limited to monthly forecasting & multi-year planning in partnership with the other departments.
- Support the finance team in implementing new project management tool.
- Timely & accurate grant reporting to stakeholders, & responsive coordination of responses to any questions on grant reports.
- Continually develop & maintain enhanced reporting capabilities for projects & grants.
- Involved in the process for executive, leadership & external reporting for the monthly forecast, annual budget, & leadership meetings.
- Respond to inquiries from the CFO, Controller, FP&A Manager, & firm directors regarding financial results & special reporting requests.
- Ensure all finance reporting deadlines are met.
- Support the Financial Planning & Analysis Manager & rest of the finance team with special projects & workflow process improvements.
- Five to seven years prior experience in finance. Experience working in a non-profit, professional services firm, & advertising agency.
- Strong preference for experience working in a multi-entity international organization.
- Strong preference for experience managing complex grants & funders
- Has strong understanding of how to collaborate with cross geographical teams
- Experience with project-level finance reporting is preferred.
- Must be PC proficient & able to thrive in a fast pace setting.
- Strong preference for experience with Salesforce, Sage, Intacct, Mavenlink, & other industry specific programs.
- Advanced skill level in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) & Google Suite applications.
- You are committed to Purposes Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion value
- You are committed to building a diverse, equitable & inclusive work environment
- Strong verbal & written communication skills, interpersonal & customer service skills required.
- Ability to multitask, work under pressure & meet deadlines required.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role. Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different
identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications close midnight, September 13th.