Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers & sellers through technology. Until Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile & AI technologies enable. We are building AI to empower AI - Artificial Intelligence to empower Agent Intelligence.
As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity & obligation to build a world-class engineering team & the operating platform that will transform real estate. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, & are searching for creative & inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2020.
About the Role:
As a Staff Software Engineer at Compass, you will work on projects that impact the highest priorities of our technology roadmap & the business, all while collaborating cross-functionally with multiple teams. Staff engineers influence teams outside of their own organization & deliver results that move the needle at the organizational level & impact company-wide goals.
You will use your experience with modern cloud & data frameworks to build products that improve every step of the real estate agent, buyer & seller experience at Compass. Leveraging the data-rich features of the real estate industry, you will build technology that aggregates billions of real estate listings & other data points, develop an industry-leading consumer experience for searching & selecting real estate, support the day to day productivity of a real estate agent with web & mobile applications while also supporting the growth of the worlds most scalable brokerage.
At Compass You Will:
- Lead the design, implementation, & delivery of successful large-scale, critical and/or highly complex technical solutions
- Take ownership over a technical domain within our product & engineering organization
- Build, develop, & scale a platform that powers real estate agents, buyers, & sellers while acting as an empathetic partner to our customers
- Inspire, recruit, & mentor your engineering colleagues
- Operate in a scalable engineering culture that leverages modern principles of decoupled systems & automated CI/CD/testing/monitoring to drive efficiencies
What We Look For:
- 10+ years of progressive experience from project ownership to tech leadership in high-performance environments
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, EE or equivalent
- Experience with distributed computing (e.g Spark), public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS), modern web frameworks (e.g. Go/React) & data pipelines. Familiarity with containerization, microservices architecture, & continuous integration & delivery.
- An engineer who thinks in terms of architecture, design, & code with experience working on large scale systems in rapid growth environments
- Experience programming in languages like Java, Python, & Go (we use all three here at Compass)
- Experience influencing a teams technical & business strategy by making insightful contributions to team priorities & approaches
- Experience identifying & solving ambiguous problems, architecture deficiencies, or areas where the teams software causes bottlenecks
- Ability to communicate their ideas effectively to achieve the right outcome for their team & customers
- Experience leading design reviews & has actively participated in design reviews of related software
- Experience in interviewing & hiring senior engineers as well as mentoring others - improving their skills, their knowledge of software, & their ability to get things done
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place. Our entrepreneurship principles bind us together & inform how we tackle the tremendous challenges ahead.
Check out our Engineering blog!