Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Reporting into our VPE the Director, Test Engineering will be responsible for building & leading the Test Engineering team at Cockroach Labs. This team will own test infrastructure, scalability testing, performance testing, chaos testing, & test enablement. Their team will be tasked with pushing an open-source cloud-native distributed SQL database to its limits & beyond. Working closely with other teams in Engineering & Product in both the cloud & database offerings, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy at global scale, ensuring that CockroachDB remains scalable, survivable, & consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
- Drive the direction of a high visibility, high impact group within the Engineering team, focused on Test Engineering.
- Ensure that the team is built to scale & set-up for long-term success, which may include spinning off new teams.
- Recruit, mentor, develop & make top talent effective.
- Establish engineering success metrics & engineering goals that are aligned with the rest of the company.
- Some examples of focus areas for the Test Engineering team:
- Build & maintain the tooling & frameworks for testing a distributed cloud-native distributed SQL database.
- Explore how the performance boundaries of the database are affected by hardware & networking configurations across multiple clouds.
- Develop innovative strategies & research novel approaches in the industry & academic papers for identifying bugs in CockroachDB & CockroachCloud.
- Build & maintain tests that simulate customer workloads.
In your first 30 days, you will go through a series of onboarding that is both company & engineering focused. You will spend time getting to know the individuals on the Engineering team, & what they are working on. You will also meet with other members of Engineering leadership to learn more about the organizational goals & structure. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
By 3 months, youll be fully ramped up & responsible for driving the direction of your team & beginning to plan future projects. You will be leading high-level architectural conversations, as well as planning for the growth of your group, potentially expanding into multiple development teams as needed.
- Experience building & managing an engineering team of 10+, & ideally multiple teams of similar size
- 10+ years of industry experience & 5+ years in a Leadership capacity overseeing high performing teams
- A passion for working on complex technical products & exposure to topics such as distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Experience incorporating a systems thinking approach to testing complicated systems.
- An inquisitive mind & comfortable applying the latest research to industry challenges.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, & Python.
- An understanding of system design.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process & partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Peter Mattis - Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi & then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail & Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction & dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannoli's with his wife & kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.