The Dodo is seeking a creative & experienced visual storyteller to join our video team. To thrive in this role, youll need to excel at sourcing & crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately & keeps them watching until the very end. Youll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish from sourcing content online, conducting interviews & requesting extra footage, to scripting & structuring a memorable, emotional story. Were looking for editors who can spot an emotional piece of found footage & use it as a building block to produce a midform video with visual arc, using shot lists & giving direction to the uploader to acquire every piece of footage needed to make the story complete.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, & be nimble & eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold & a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, persistence in gathering every part of the story, & the ability to manage multiple ambitious projects at once are needed to create videos that are consistently special & highly sharable.We are open to extremely committed recent grads.
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media, building relationships, putting together shot lists & communicating with uploaders to obtain engaging footage
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews & crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Use video editing techniques & rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos per month that exemplify the Dodo voice & brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing & editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- A drive to put together a complete story start to finish, including working closely with sources & producing parts of the story
- Basic After Effects a plus
- Desire to work for a growing company & a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized & dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently & also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand & a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea. Who needs anything else?
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the worlds #1 animal brand & and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. Were obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. Were looking for committed, proactive & positive people who want to help build our brand & grow with our company.