Genius is looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer to help build the ultimate music companion, enabling fans to collaboratively transcribe lyrics & write annotations that live on Genius.com & everywhere people experience music. Were looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks whove built cool things, but who can also maintain & scale those things, & who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, & the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com & everywhere music fans connectincluding over 130 million users on Spotify & Apple Musicacross the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, & more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, & the biggest names in musicincluding Frank Ocean, Lorde, & Cardi Bcome to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
To learn more check out our sizzle, & follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, & Youtube.
- Build & maintain web application features, working with a Rails backend & Angular frontend
- Proactively identify & fix infrastructure bottlenecks to scale backend services to tens of thousands of requests per minute
- Develop the APIs that our Android & iPhone apps & web frontend consume
- Work with product design team to build rich, intuitive user experiences in the browser
- Architect database query patterns & migrations that scale to large tables with 50M+ rows
- Take ownership of features at a product as well as a technical level, working closely with other engineers, designers, & colleagues across the company to define feature specifications
- Join on-call rotation to respond to urgent bugs or outages
- At least 4 years professional web development experience
- Significant experience with Ruby on Rails
- Significant experience with at least one front end framework: Angular, Ember, React, or similar
- Significant experience working with relational databases & writing SQL queries
- 3 years Rails development
- 2 years experience with Angular
- 2 years experience with PostgreSQL/MySQL
- Match our catalog of millions of songs to an external partnersApple, Spotify, Pandora, Google, etccatalog of millions of songs
- Apply plain text diffs to structured markup
- Design & build an activity stream scalable to 100M+ events & a filterable firehose interface for consuming them
- HTTP-cache all pages at the edge for logged-out users only
- Develop a system for associating annotations to arbitrary DOM that can change out from under you
- Calculate document ownership based on edit history with hundreds of distinct authors
- Develop representation for rich text thats portable to native iOS & Android environments
- Design a domain-specific language & implementation of site-wide rate limits for spammy or abusive behavior
- Fingerprint artist names to prevent duplicate data with low false-positive rate