What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology & marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $45 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile & web ordering experience for consumers, & by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, & marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom & pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Dominos?
We are looking for a business savvy Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. You will be responsible for expanding & optimizing our data & data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow & collection for cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder & data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems & building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, business-intelligence & data scientists on data initiatives & will ensure optimal data delivery. They must be self-directed & comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems & products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even building a new component of our companys data architecture to support our next generation of products & data initiatives. We believe in tested automation of pipelines. The member of our team should not only be agile in producing the data pipelines, but able to test those pipelines to ensure a robust & stable platform, without data leakage & with understanding of the expected outcome.
What you'll do:
- Create & maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, & implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build & support the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, & loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL & AWS big data technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency & other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data & DevOps teams to assist with data-related technical issues & support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated & secure
- Create data tools for analytics & data scientist team members which assist them in building & optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data & analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
What we're looking for:
- Advanced working SQL knowledge & experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building & optimizing big data data pipelines, architectures & data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal & external data & processes to answer specific business questions & identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency & workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing & extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, & highly scalable big data data stores.
- Strong project management & organizational skills.
- Experience supporting & working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 2+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
- They should also have experience with the types of technology represented below, but do not need to be the exact named-software:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
History of Slice:
Slice was born in 2010 & has quietly bootstrapped its way to building a network of more than 11,000 pizzerias nationwide. Ilir Sela, our founder & CEO, started the company as a passion project to help his friends & family in the pizza business, but he quickly saw a massive opportunity to champion these small businesses by bringing their craft to the masses. Ilir has since built an amazing team of operators, marketers, technologists, & investors all dedicated to making it easier for people to enjoy their favorite local pizza while helping local shops succeed.
Our Pizza Philosophy
Slice is on a journey to be the most valuable pizza brand on the planet. We connect makers & eaters to enrich their lives through the power of specialization & pizza expertise. Backed by generations of knowledge & cutting-edge technology, we give makers the platform & voice to take charge of their industry, expand their coverage, & fill the world with authentic cuisine.When passionate makers turn their craft into their livelihood, we all live happier, fuller lives. People stop accepting the homogenous, mass-produced pies of big chains & robotic trucks because the quality, variety, & authenticity of Slice is both hyper-convenient & known worldwide.We believe pizza isnt just food. Its a slice of community, a slice of culture, a slice of life.
Were growing our family every day so, if youve got a passion for local, authentic pizza & the drive to help share it with the world, wed love to have you on the team! Check out a few awards weve recently won for our workplace & culture: Inc., Crain's, BuiltinNYC
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.