Rent the Runway is transforming the way we get dressed as the ultimate destination for circular fashion, offering infinite points of access to the worlds first Closet in the Cloud via a customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. Founded in 2009, the brand pioneered this concept across fashion, disrupting a $2.4 trillion industry & inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
The operations team at RTR works to deliver the customer mission by innovating through automation, process improvement, transportation methods, packaging & garment science. In doing so, the RTR operations team owns the largest cost components of the business: fulfillment labor, transportation & inventory care. While this is true of any e-commerce company, our subscription rental model & reverse logistics process introduce complexities that are unique to RTR. Given that garments are rented multiple times, returning garments to like-new condition is critical to maximizing the life of our inventory. RTR is thus not only tasked with scaling productive operational processes for traditional e-commerce functions, but also with carrying out manufacturing-like processes such as dry cleaning & repairs. The vast variety of our inventory assortment - which has been expanding with the growth of new categories - further introduces challenges to implementing traditional technologies & solutions. Success on the RTR operations team requires the pursuit of constant innovation beyond conventional standards.
About the Job:
RTR is seeking an outstanding Manufacturing Engineer to join our Construction & Design team to execute high impact, high investment initiatives that will transform & scale the operation. In this position, you will report to the Director of Business Operations & Strategy & partner with operations, facilities, external vendors, IT, tech & product, data science & analytics, finance & more cross-functional teams. This role provides the opportunity to drive strategic planning & tackle key challenges that will take RTR fulfillment & the customer experience to the next level.
What Youll Do:
- Design, launch & operationalize high-investment, transformative projects spanning across a breadth of operational areas, including automation, productivity, quality, lead time, dry cleaning technology, capacity management & safety.
- Expand RTRs portfolio of proprietary solutions to unique operational challenges that differentiate us from competitors & traditional retailers. Current examples include our homegrown warehouse management systems, custom-designed automation systems, proprietary cleaning agents & processes, proprietary reusable packaging, scaled dry & wet cleaning capabilities & more.
- 2021 projects may include the implementation of RFID in our inventory & processes, launching machine learning & automation in our Quality Control process and/or revolutionizing the way we manage unit flow throughout our facilities.
- Play a central role in designing & launching new dream fulfillment centers to fuel RTRs growth throughout the U.S. in the future.
- Serve as RTRs subject matter expert (SME) for the initiatives that you implement.
- Analyze the ROI of capital investments, process changes & other projects to drive decision making & provide strategic direction.
- Manage relationships with major international vendors & source new vendors to launch new automation systems, equipment & other solutions.
- Partner with the RTR tech & data science teams to integrate initiatives into RTR-developed WMS & MES.
- Design tests & collect data in partnership with the operation & other cross-functional teams to review operational changes & measure the impact on key metrics.
- Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical or similar Engineering experience.
- Experience leading large capital investment projects as an Engineer.
- Experience with managing fast track design/build projects or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- E-commerce technology & supply chain experience preferred.
- Relentless desire to improve & go beyond the discrete task at hand by applying large-scale strategic thinking.
- Strong analytical background & the ability to apply that at some level to both readily available data. Strong Excel skills are a must.
- Ability to manage 2D & 3D CAD (AutoCAD, Inventor, or Solidworks) is preferred.
- Experience in leading/collaborating with operations, tech & data science teams in the pursuit of building KPIs & products.
- Safety is your overriding priority & you think safety first in every situation.
- You possess strong interpersonal skills & are seen as a natural team leader. You are a team player who works well with others in the face of challenges & a common mission.
- While this begins as an individual contributor role, the Construction & Design team will expand to execute the projects you design. With this growth, experience in managing teams is preferred.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.